HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - creating a sanctuary by keeping cattle out
Old 05-02-2005, 07:13 AM
greg-dude

Default RE: creating a sanctuary by keeping cattle out

I am from MO as well. The fencing program is run by the NCRS. It does pay 80% of cost including some allowance for labor. By doing it yourself, it generally covers all the expences. However, there is generally a waiting period to get the practices approved. In my area, it generally takes a year or so to get all the red tape done, but check it out. I don't think they will fund electric fences either, but I'm not sure.

As far as the type of fences, electric is by far the easiest, but has more maintenance in the long run. I would personally go with the 3 wire barb fence, but that's your call. I had storms take out too many of my fencers even with the lightning protection, not to mention falling limbs and the like. As long as the temptation (for the cattle) is limited close to the fence itself, I had few problems with cattle going through 3 wire barb wire fence.

Why provide additional food source in their bedding area? You already mentioned foodplots else where, so why give the deer more incentive to stay inside the sanctuary where you won't be hunting? I would just fence it and leave it alone.