HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My season is over and notta.. again..
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 08:50 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: My season is over and notta.. again..

ORIGINAL: Turkey Addict

You can't say you didn't get nothing at all.... at least you got to be out there, seeing and hearing things that people that don't hunt never get to hear or see. That stuff is priceless in my book. I hope you never give it up.
Absolutely. Last year was my first year turkey hunting. Went opening day with two buddies who had also never hunted turkeys before. We were all in the same blind. Yeah, it was a bad situation. Not sure what we would have done if we ever got a chance to actually try to draw one of our bows to shoot one. I was so unprepared I never even had a stitch of camo on. I just figured I was going to be in a blind the whole time, so what's the difference? Anyway, my friends never really got into it (only hunted a few more times last year.) but I was addicted almost immediately. Didn't know ANYTHING, though. But that didn't stop me from getting out to the woods almost every single morning during the season and most evenings, too. I can't even add up all the mistakes I made. Had a few close calls. Had luck broken my way I might have taken one that first day, even. But..... never did get one last year. I took a lot of grief about getting skunked from a lot of my friends because very few of them are into archery and none of them are into turkey hunting. But the thing is; I loved every minute of it. I had more fun getting skunked hunting turkeys than 95% of the 'successful' deer hunts I've ever had.

I tell people that turkey hunting is kind of like having a Harley or choosing a 60's muscle car over a new sports car; If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand. Anyone who's been at it for 11 years understands. Stick with it. Think of how satisfying it's going to be when you do succeed.