HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey Load Patterning Help
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 03:25 PM
killmeatm

Default RE: Turkey Load Patterning Help

I shoot a rem 87o 3'' using a rhino choke(.660) with win high vel. # 6's. I have an avg. of 27 pellets in the vital area of an hs strut turkey target at 40 yards. I use to use the same choke with nitro's 4x5x7 heavy shot wich put an avg. of 34 pellets in the vitals at 40 yards, in my opinoin this is an excellent pattern with both shells. I have shot turkeys at 20 yards that there head looked like it had been ran through a meat grinder and they still flopped around. When you shoot one in the head they are going to flop or at least the ones I've shot have. If you are getting 10-15 pellets in the brain and neck bone that is more than enough to kill a turkey. Try patterning your gun out to 40 yards, this is about as far as you need to shoot a turkey with #6's, I have killed them as far as 52 yards with #6's but it just doesn't have the enrgy that it does under 40 yards. As long as you have 6 to 8 pellets in the brain or neck bone at 40 yards your gun is shooting fine, or you can do like I did and spend hundreds of dollars and try numerous chokes and shell combinations until you get it like you want it, just remember that the tighter your pattern the easier it is to miss them at very close range and believe me it can be done. If you want your gun to have an awsome pattern it is worth the money to buy a rhino choke and shoot Nitro Company 4x5x7 heavy shot, they are the best but they are expensive(choke $90.00, ammunition $5.00 a shell). I quite using the nitro shells because 15 pellets will kill one just as dead as 40 pellets and factory ammo is not near as expensive.