HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CWD moving east?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Bill Yox

Default RE: CWD moving east?

To RCDavis...as Ive said, I cant talk too much about particulars on this for obvious reasons, but let me say this much. Your area cannot support that high of a kill, and the state realizes it. I think youll see that they wont kill that many deer there, even though it has been proposed. Your samples have all come back negative. They will continue to monitor roadkills though. I truly believe that the DEC and Ag and Markets is trying to be thorough and do their job to contain this, yet work in an intelligent manner on behalf of you, the residents of Onieda county. I can promise you that the majority of us deerfarmers are. Its our livelihood!

NYBowhunter...yes, and like I already stated, the big difference is that up to a few years ago, nobody knew that putting carcasses into the ground would ever pose any threat to anything. The enclosures were put up in good faith, not to be covering a known contaminated area. Heck, I could walk you to fields Im aware of that guys would get paid by veterinarians to dig holes and dump vet waste, ie chemically detroyed or euthanized pets, diseased animals, etc, instead of processing them legally. The stuff is out there. Just remember that so-called "hole in some country field" might later have a house over it, or a playground...or yes, a deer pen.

Medic, thank you for your kind words. Yes, the truth isnt always pretty, but it sure is accurate. If there was one person who does NOT want a sick deer, I would have to be on the short list of people saying it were me! 90% of us play by the rules and do all we can to be legal. I cant and wont speak for what might be the other 10%. I also do not want to be punished for that 10% either. Medic, tell you what...you shoot that great buck of yours, and Ill either be happy to take you up on your kind offer, or Ill help you locate a good taxidermist in your immediate area. Hows that sound?

One last note...there is a second area that the state was taking deer for testing too, and they have stopped culling deer there for testing as well. To date, no positives have come from that area either.