HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - brush hog or not?? Help?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2002, 08:41 PM
farm hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: brush hog or not?? Help?

eddie - is your land in NY State? Those hunting dates sound
like NY dates.

I'd carefully chose a section or sections of the field to mow this year. The deer likey feel secure traveling throught the tall grasses and berry bushes to get to where they feed, I would not want to mow in what appear to be "high tavel" corridors, not without a good food plot on my property.

Mowing a fallow section, then fertilizing and/or liming is sometimes referred to as a "poor man's food plot". Deer will definitely search out new growth of wild forbs, and even some common weeds if the growth is young enough. In addition, if you toss out a hundred lbs of 15-15-15 fertilizer per acre, you will make the tender growth over the next month or two that much more attractive to deer.

They will not pass up a farmers alfalfa field to feed here, but it will definitely be better than an unmowed field. Still, make sure you leave a good section (and a huntable one) maybe in a low section, or dip, in the field, to offer some security to deer traveling through.

Next spring, I'd plan on a plot or two of your own. A plot of even one acre will do wonders for holding deer on your property. If you do not want to plant the entire field, strategically pick a good corner, to help you funnel some deer.

Good luck