HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The debate begins: Warning, graphic
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 08:26 AM
DHF:KYLEN

Default The debate begins: Warning, graphic

Went on a trip to Bama and Georgia in search of the Eastern Bird. Heard lots of stories and tales about them. Well this year I had my chance. Work wouldn't stop us this year.

We started in Bama after driving all night after work to arrive just in time to get on the gear and get out to a spot for the fly down. As luck would have it I got a great spot with over 20 birds just 80yards away in amid the lodge pole pines and under growth. For over 1 1/2 hrs I could just see shadows and a glimps of red. Heart pounding so hard for so long I couldn't hold the gun anymore. Time slipped by and the birds disappeared. All in the hunting part had just about the same experience.

It's on now, it's personel. We got to hunt on private land and land we had leased. Heard turkeys on all and all around us everyday. You had to decide which gobbler you wanted to work. Some days you set up almost right under them and they would fly off just the oppiste way you would expect. Others were silent until they hit the ground and would proudly sound off, demanding you to come to them. Alot of pride in those Bama birds.

Here's a shot of the Pecan feild we hunted in. It's long and would go on for over 6 to 7 hundred yards broke up by lodge pole pine feilds. Had little creeks down both sides with huge large old growth oak trees on both sides. Just unreal for the turkeys.

For those of you that have posted questions about the .500 12 ga. Moss and the Red Dot scope, here's some imput for you. I use them both and love it. You'll see why later. That's my Ghille suite on the ground, home made. Had turkeys on this trip withing 24 inches of the gun barrel. I just gotta figure out a way to attach a camer to the gun. I like seeing just how close I can get the birds into me. Kinda like "counting cou".

We doubled up on this day. Here's my 67yr old father coming out with his brid. Mines hanging on the gate, (clearly in his line of site), just to tease him. We have a battle going on between us. It's all in fun.

Here's mine hanging just for him to see. I warned you, graphic but, see what my little Mossy can do with a red dot.

Side by side back at the home stead.

Another shot.

Here's my "Hooks"

Now on to the beard (S): This bad boy had 4 and was growing a 5th.

Plucked to see:

In my hand:

Me and my Bama bird.

Had a blast to tell you all the truth. As for Georgia: it was a bust. The lease we bought into is set up for deer hunting and prior to us buying in they have lost most of their land due to Clear Cutting and not re-signing and loosing it out to someone else. It was so bad we just hunted it one day and called it quits. Plan on pulling out of the lease ASAP. What a bummer and waste of money.

Team 10 here's the bad news. I was so excited about going turkey hunting in Bama that I forgot to take a scale. Everyone who saw it said it had to be well over 20 plus pounds. It for sure was the big bad boy I really wanted to get. The beards were 9", 6", 6", 6" and the hooks were 1 1/4" each. Here's the kicker, it wasn't the biggest bird in the pack. I couldn't get him. but I really did want to. Sorry guys. Hope to hunt Indiana or maybe back up to central/north Florida before it's all over. I won't for get the scale again.

Anyway all our birds will be marked against this one forever. But the trip with my father means more to me. Now only if I could really get my youngest son hooked.