Community

Team 14 "TURKAHOLICS"

Old 03-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 14 Thread

Sorry to butt in guys, but I came across Pat's story while reading through some of the team threads.

Pat, that story choked me up as having two little boys of my own. You are absolutely right about not taking your kids for granted. They can be gone in the blink of an eye. This season I will be taking my 6 yr. old and 4 yr. old sons with me. Going into this I know that my chance of scoring with these guys with me will be low, but that doesn't matter. This will surely be some great memories and hopefully will put the spark in them. If I can just work one bird so that they can at least hear some gobbles, that will mark my success this season.

To all on Team 14, good luck this season and I wish you all the best.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

2 lunger that is GREAT..... i am glad to see you aren't taking htem for granted. And yes I have gotten involved with other people's children and taken them on youth hunts. It can be frustrating but just keep in mind we were in their shoes at one time. Reminds me of the very first hunt my dad took me on. We went squirrel hunting. I was only 4. As we sat done next to a tree he whispered to me you have to sit very still and very quiet. He was very impressed with how quietly I was sitting and commented on it, I said I'm just trying to make you proud dad. Well that went on for quite some time with out seeing nay squirrels. He again said that I was doing a great job sitting there. Well finally I saw my first squirrel a couple of trees over. I jumped up and YELLED "THERE HE IS DAD", he just fell over laughing. It took me awhile to understand why he laughed. WE talk about that hunt til this day. All he says about it is that he should have said that i need to be quiet even when I see one. Memories last a life time.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys, sorry for checking in so late, I just got in tonight from my florida trip, (fishing/hog hunting), ill fill you guys in tomorrow and read the posts ive missed,, excited to get to now you guys,, we will catch up tomorrow,
Old 03-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the team mcorsoglad to see you made.... Hope you had a great trip.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:12 AM

Sorry Guys been kinda outta pocket, work and all; I did read the story about not taking your children for granted and now I know how my dad feels. Never missed a chance to take me hunting and I know for a FACT that I ruined multiple opportunities for him. I was quite spastic as a child. lol. I dont have any children of my own but when I do they will not be able to say that their dad didnt take them hunting. Got chills while reading the story, and Im sorry for your loss. Have we come up with a name yet?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:23 AM

Default RE: Team 14 Thread "No Name, but you will know our names when this is over"

By the way, how does one acquire a contest sticker?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Team 14 Thread "No Name, but you will know our names when this is over"

Hey guys, good to meet all of you, im in ohio, and have some property in southern ohio, and have a nice bunch of turkeys down there, got this bird on the opener last year, I just got back form hog hunting in florida , it was a blast , right at dusk they came out by the tens, and within 15 minutes there were like 70 in a single field . you could hear them coming before they showed up, sweeling and snorting, still hunted up to mine to about 15 yards and hit a second hog on the pass threw, these things are tanks , good time,im glad I took my bow.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

nice hogs and nice bird, mcorso. Glad u r on board.

I'll be taking my boy out for his first hunt next Sunday. He's seven and just got a 20 ga single shot h&r. Keep us in your prayers.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys, I just read all the posts and its cool to have a group of dads or inspiring dads, Im new to the dad thing myself ,I have a daughter that lives in NC with her mom, that I met in the service and I was always deployed and never had a chance to really "BE" there for her, Im fighting in court for her now, I am married now with my high school sweetheart who also has a daughter with autism ,same age as my daughter, things fell into place when I came home from the service,and took her child as my own. Its tough raising a disabled child and I left my outdoor pursuits behind me for a few years till we could guage how mary was gonna develop, all the while my wife felt responsible and feared to have any more children, it was a touchy issue, but after a while she was convinced that she is capable of having healthy children and we tried, well now we have a healthy one year old son, and he is really the keystone that holds us all together, always laughing is good with his sister and she is learning things from him, we all are, I read your story pat and I cant imagine how that felt and pray i never have to part with any of my children, but your right you cant take them for granted, thank you for sharing. I cant wait to get my son and god willing my step daughter out in the wild and open there imagination as the outdorrs has done for me. I working on my wife now,and she has come along way, shoots her bow well, completed her hunters safety course and though its tough to get a sitter and run for the stand has been able to get a glimpse of what I live for.I have been practicing daily now with several calls and hope to get my wife a bird. but she is making it diffulcult for me , she wants to take it with her bow! that a girl.. best wishes to all you , now lets talk turkey!!
I have a spot, limited pressure, and last year while building our cabin , I would hear turkeys every night and every morning,same spot, never hunting turkeys before I started reading and while doing so told a buddy who has hunted them before that I have located some birds, long story short, he came down for the opener, and called like crazy ,by 700am we had 9 gobblers screaming at us from all sides ,, so we dug in and I had my bird by 720am, he assured me it was beginners luck and dont expect that to happen again anytime soon,, so I can only hope my wifes trip out is as fruitful.. ill be heading down soon and clear cutting some over grown logging roads as well as putting in some food plots,, any suggestions? last year I created a nice nesting site ,where we later found several nests,any suggestions on creating a roosting tree? can you? my property ends and state ground begins and I would love to pull the birds on or closer to my property and keep them there.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

mcorso, it's great to hear your story. Thanks for sharing it. I will be praying for Mary and your son as I head to the woods each hunt this season. Glad you are on board.

Quick Reply: Team 14 "TURKAHOLICS"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.