HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   '09 Turkey Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/09-turkey-contest-96/)
-   -   Team 9 "Shell Shocked" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/09-turkey-contest/286924-team-9-shell-shocked.html)

louddrummer69 02-19-2009 05:40 AM

Team 9 "Shell Shocked"

Hey guys, I'm excited for this year. I was lucky enough to tag out last year and hope to do the same this year except with the bow. Excited to meet all of you.
-Mark

JW 02-19-2009 06:09 AM

RE: Team 9 Thread

You now are at 11
Team 9
1 300ultramagshooter
2 Bigtimer
3 bullmoose38
4 Chris_H
5 eagerbeaver3483
6 louddrummer69
7 RockyMtnGobblers
9 StruttinGobbler3
9 Theinespines3
10 wihunter402
11 Strut&Rut

JW

Strut&Rut 02-20-2009 06:57 AM

I'm here...

Let's bag some birds. I'll be hunting for Rios in Southern OR in late April, and then hitting Western OR near the end of May for a Merriams. Due to a committment at work, I only got out 2 days last year, and it killed me. This year will be a bit different ;)

When you sign in, please list some info. Maybe some of our team can hook up for a few days of hunting---anyone else hunting in the NW? I've got permission on private land in SW OR...

Chris

Bigtimer 02-20-2009 11:46 AM

Bigtimer checkin in! This is my first time as a contest participant but I'll do the best that I can. This will be my second season hunting turkeys and I'm looking forward to it. I did manage to tag out last year and hope to do the same again. I've been seeing plenty of birds on the farm so hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the effort. Let's "get er done";)

RockyMtnGobblers 02-20-2009 04:55 PM

Checking in.
I'm Lynne great to be here again this year!
I hunt Merriam's in Colorado. ( shotgun)
I havehunted Merriams for over 10 years and have pretty good luck, Last yearIhad shots at3 Toms and a Jake didn't shoot as I wanted something bigger.
I'm shootin this year! Cant wait to get in the woods, getting ready to go scouting!
Lets get em team!

bullmoose38 02-22-2009 09:56 AM

I am from PA. Will be hunting PA, MD and maybe NY. Also Florida is looking like its gonna happen. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Plan on using the crossbow this year. I have a bow slam and half a muzzleloader slam. Figured I might as well start a crossbow slam.[8D] Hope eveyone has a safe and successful season.

Theinespines3 02-22-2009 04:21 PM

Well guys, I am pumped for this years hunt. I normally hunt up north, and will probably still get 1 weekend in up there, but my primary spot this year is just north of Big City Milwaukee in WI. I have been watching the turkey population grow out at my local bow spot and I finally drew a tag for that zone. I have it for the 1st wi season. I was out checking out the woods the other day and that are turkey tracks everywhere. I had a camera out and left it on video by accident.....well there is a video of long beard after beard walking past! MOst of them with beards 8+ inches! I walked up on a flock of about 30 birds when i was out there and counted 10 beards!!! They all concentrate on a the small wood lots around the little river taht goes through the farm.

Good luck to all. I will be hunting starting April 15th. Then two other weekends as well!
Pines

StruttinGobbler3 02-23-2009 07:00 PM

Hey guys checking in. I'll be hunting in Georgia all season this year. Last year the team I was on in this contest finished next to last, so I'm hoping for a little better finish this year ;)Ihad opportunitiesona fewdecent birds last season but wanted something a tad nicer, so they walked.Butthisyear I plan to shoot the first decent bird I get a shot at to put some points up for the team. So lets get after em this season boys :DBy the way what do yall think our team name should be?

300ultramagshooter 02-24-2009 03:07 AM

Hi I'm checking in I'll be hunting PA also might go to Missouri did anyone come up with a name for our team?Also whos the captain?

louddrummer69 02-24-2009 08:18 AM

Hey guys! I hunt NW MO. We have lots of birds and I have been pretty successful. I use the B-Mobile decoy along with two hens. It was a pretty deadly setup last year. I called in around 30 birds last year in 4-5 hunts. I tagged out and helped a couple of hunting buddies bag their very first bird. I hope I can duplicate that success this year. Lets figure out our name. My bowhunting team name is leaning towards the name "Beard Me".

StruttinGobbler3 02-24-2009 01:29 PM

Ok I've been thinking about team names heres a few I came up with. I know some of them are corny but let me know if y'all like any of them.

StrutBusters
Morning Thunder
Thunder Chickens
GobbleStoppers
Tom Teasers-got this one from the brand of calls I use :D

louddrummer69 02-26-2009 06:41 AM

I'm fine with whatever name. Do we have a captain decided yet?

RockyMtnGobblers 02-26-2009 06:55 PM

Maybe when our team all gets checked in we can pick a captain and a team name.[/align][/align]Here are some team name ideas....shell shocked, gobbling thunder,Gobbler hunters, Gobbler blasters, Turkey terminators[/align]

Arrowmaster 02-26-2009 06:57 PM

Sorry Team 2 is takin the contest. On a serious note, good luck and be safe. All hail Team 2 Meet the Flockers...:D:D:D:D

louddrummer69 02-27-2009 05:51 AM

Team 2 looks good but Team 9 looks incredible. Here are a couple of pics from last Spring:

bullmoose38 02-27-2009 09:12 AM

I cant wait to get at it! If you want to check some cool pics out checkout my camospace page. http://www.camospace.com/bullmoose38 You will find some pretty cool turkey pics. As for name and captain it doesnt matter to me. March 21st I will be starting my season in florida.

louddrummer69 03-03-2009 08:42 AM

Ok guys so have we probably need to get everybody checked in and pick our team captain. We've been slackin'!

bullmoose38 03-03-2009 03:28 PM

yeah no many team members coming on here much. hopefully they are out scouting!;)

RockyMtnGobblers 03-03-2009 03:38 PM

OK guys by my count we only need 3 more guys to check in than we can get going on this. I sent PM's to the three belowthat have not yet checked in, so if you know them let em know we need them. If I'm wrong let us know.

ChrisH

eagerbeaver3483

wihunter402

eagerbeaver3483 03-03-2009 04:02 PM

checking in from NC, hunting the eastern birds. hope we all can get some nice birds and have a safe and successful season! good luck everybody!

bryan reid

eagerbeaver3483 03-03-2009 04:13 PM

sorry it took me so long to check in. i'm a college student and to be completely honest this was the last thing on my mind. but i'm glad yall reminded me because now i have something to keep me from doing school work :D

here's a pic of the gobbler i shot here at the house last year.

22.6 pounds
10.5" beard
1.5" spurs

wihunter402 03-04-2009 04:47 AM

Hey guys. Sorry I kind of forgot I had signed up for this.

Louddrummer we were on the deer contest together in 2007 I think.

Well I have been in the Deer bow contest every year since 2004. I do like to come around and I will be on here. I got on the turkey contest once back in 2005 I think but that was it. I hunt in southwestern WI on private family land. I drew week 3 so I have April 29th to May 3rd. I may be trying to purchase an extra tag for one of the later seasons but I will have to see how it goes. I am a hard core archery guy but I have no problem with gun hunting either. I still go out gun deer hunting with my Dad every fall. Don't think I am one of those archers that condem gun hunting. I'll write up some more on here in a bit.

wihunter402 03-04-2009 05:07 AM

Well I have a minute here at work so I thought I would tell you about some of my 2008 turkey hunting. It was the first season I went out with bow only and I had a nice big Tom come in and stop at 46 yards. I could not get him closer and I told myself before the season I was only good to 40 yards. Well that was it and I never got a spring turkey last year. With that going on I worked very hard over the summer to get better at longer ranges. I practiced at 60 and 80 yards pretty regular. I had my Katera XL shooting well and knew that at 50 I could hit a bird. My fall season went like this. Opening morning a doe came in at 38 yards (I have the leupold range finder for all the yardage). I smoked it no problem. As the season went on I was in our cabin talking to my son in the Navy and some turkeys came walking up the gravel driveway. The closest bird (we can shoot hens) was 51 yards. With encouragement from Matt (son) I lined up the 50 pin while actually standing in the cabin. Eased the release and destroyed that bird with the 1 3/4" Grim Reaper Razor Tip. It went about 5 yards. My only other shot last fall was a fox I got at 43 yards. I did not have the best of luck with critters coming in close last year so I was very glad I practiced for the little longer shots.

So this year I shot a bunch of bows and purchased the AMax 32 BlackOut pictured below. Bow is shooting great and I hope to be just as good with it as I am with my Katera XL. The AMax is my new turkey hunting bow which is why I wanted the all black. If I can't get all the pics on this post I will do a couple. Hope you all enjoy and I am really looking forward to spring.

First pic is the bow itself. Second one is my 5 spot at 20 yards. These were while I was still sighting it in and tuning it. The bow is set at 60.5 pounds, 29 inch draw shooting Victory vForce HV arrows at 316 grains at 307 fps.

wihunter402 03-04-2009 05:09 AM

Here are the turkey and fox from last year. It was a young turkey but in the fall our tags are for any turkey. Sure did taste good on the grill.

louddrummer69 03-04-2009 06:02 AM

Nice Wihunter. Very nice. Hope you get some luck with one with a beard this Spring.

300ultramagshooter 03-05-2009 01:02 AM

Whos our captain? Do we have a name?

Theinespines3 03-05-2009 08:08 PM

Sorry for my lack of absence as well guys. I am student teaching a full 40 hours a week, then going to work after school--pulling 20 hours a week, and trying to keep up with grading papers, writing plans, and applying for jobs. Not to mention I have a girl---I cant wait for hunting season!!!! Already planned it for school spring break.....I am so ready to start it. Will be out there every day starting in mid april. Hoping to get a second tag for later in the season.

Good luck, will keep in touch more closer to season, but am still looking in!

Pines

RockyMtnGobblers 03-06-2009 11:48 AM

Guys all our team members have checked in except one Chris H.
[/align]
[/align]Do we want to go ahead and pick a captain or wait for Chris H?
[/align]
[/align]Maybe we can get the ball rolling by having all team members interested in being our captain post telling us you would like to do it and have the time to be our captain and check in often to get our scores etc. It would be an impossible task for me this year.

At the same time why dont we vote on a name and when Chris H checks in he can vote to.

My pick for Team Name is Shell Shocked
[/align]
[/align]At least we can get started.
[/align]

JW 03-07-2009 03:13 AM

I need the Captain to contact me
Do yo have a Team Name?

I see Chris H has not checked in - I sent an e-mail to him as he has been active.

let's see what happens

Dave....JW

Chris_H 03-07-2009 12:55 PM

Sorry for checkin in so late guys. I'm here

louddrummer69 03-09-2009 08:22 AM

Ok guys we need to get a team captain named. Anybody want to take the reins?

JW 03-10-2009 09:39 AM

Or We - (ArrowMaster and I ) will appoint one! :) :)

hehe

JW

StruttinGobbler3 03-10-2009 02:21 PM

We need to get rolling guys, we still don't have a team captain or name picked yet. I don't think I'd have the time to be the captain, dealing with classes, farming full time, and turkey season. loudrummer you seem to be the most involved person on this team, do you have the time to be the captain? I'm not trying to take charge here or anything, we just need to get moving. We're falling behind the other teams.

Theinespines3 03-10-2009 03:13 PM

I dont really care what our team name will be. I am just glad to be on one.

I cant do the captain thing with student teaching and work, sorry. Anyone else?

Other than that I like the name shell shocked as well.

I guess with two votes so far that one is in the lead?

Pines

RockyMtnGobblers 03-11-2009 09:37 AM

Team Name>>>> Two Votes for Shell Shocked any others?

We need a name asap and a Captain!

Any volunteers for captain?

I cant as I am moving and starting a business at the same time.

louddrummer69 03-11-2009 01:11 PM

I don't mind "Shell Shocked" although I'm going at it with a bow. But it doesn't matter. I too am moving actually and am entirely too busy with work. If I'm elected to be then so be it, however.

wihunter402 03-12-2009 10:07 AM

Shell Shocked works for me. As for captain is there anyone that has time. I will be in FL hunting pigs for part of April and have a step son graduating so lots to do here for me as well. I could but I don't know that I would get on here enough to do good by everyone.

RockyMtnGobblers 03-12-2009 11:47 AM

4 Votes for shell shocked

Anyone for Captain?

I am finally getting out in the woods to do some scouting Sunday-Tuesday.
I have a honey hole I hunt every year that has some nice Toms and a second area that has a lot of turkeys but more pressure. I am looking to find more new areas as it will be a new challenge.
I am also taking an active duty Army soldier and possibly his buddy on a turkey hunt. its my way of saying I appreciate all they do for us.

Any body seeing any turkeys or hearing any gobbling?
I would bet they are gobbling here but I will find out Sunday.

bullmoose38 03-12-2009 03:11 PM

If nobody wants to be I will be captain. All we need is a name now. Team Dead Heads i like doesnt matter to me though. Next weekend I should have my Osceola down!

RockyMtnGobblers 03-12-2009 04:00 PM

You have my vote bullmoose38
Thanks for volunteering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now we have 4 for Shell Shocked and 1 for team Dead Heads