Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors >

Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors

Community

Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors

Old 04-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors

Congrats on a awesome bird Greg. You have set the bar pretty high. Way to go.

Dan
Old 04-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

That is a very nice bird. Way to set the bar so high.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations Greg. Yeah, 80 is up there. Way to go!

I shot one this morning myself -26, 10.25, 1.25, 1.375 = 72.75. Pictures and story are forthcoming.

Bob R.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

all right boys!!! congrats roger, those are some big birds!! i will be leaving sunday my hunt starts monday morning, im gonna have to deal with some rain though, congrats to u both, and i will post something by tuesday
Old 04-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

Hey RDHunter one week to go. I hope you are ready!!!!! They sure are setting the bar way up there. Nice bird rogerstvcant wait forthe pics. Good luck to you reds10ss.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

O.K. fellas, Here's the skinny.

I am fortunate enough to live where I hunt.

Behind my house is "turkey ridge" aptly named because they love to roost and strut on it.

Thursday night a buddy came down and we roosted a few birds while drinking Stag bottles on my patio. Knowing the exact roost tree is nice, but wasn't something we were concerned about at the time so we didn't venture too far from the house.

Friday morning I got a later start than I wanted. The birds were gobbling as I approached the ridge. They were roosted in the middle so I stayed low and snuck up the end of it almost to the crest. I bumped one hen and quickly spotted a few more. There was one jake and a tom gobbling about midway down the ridge. I could see the tom on the roost. It was about 5:50a and before long a hen pitched onto the ridge. The other birds followed. I thought they were headed for the field at the opposite end when all of the sudden I heard drumming. I spotted the fan then the head. I hunkered down, got ready, peeked up, found the bird, and shot. I missed! He ran so I ran after him. He stopped and I blasted him at about 35 yards. Thank god. I don't like telling a miss story. Been there done that!

Anyway, this is my biggest bird. It just goes to show that you usually don't know what you got when turkey hunting until it is down. I am a spur man and love to see hooks!

The hunt was done by 6:10a. My family was still asleep when I got home so I had to take the pictures by myself. Here they are minus the weight. I used a bathroom scale - me wo/bird then me w/bird.Ounces unknown, but it did weigh at least 26 pounds.

Went out and chased them this morning w/my kid - no luck. I have one more Illinois tag.

Good luck to allon Team #12.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the limb hanger rogerstv, gotta love them hooks.
Beauthful bird and a great hunt as well, I came up with the same score on your bird as well.
Lets hope JW and Arrowmaster come to an aggreement on this, you got the pictures to prove it so I'm sure there won't be no questions about it.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:59 AM
Fork Horn

rogerstv I got the same score.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea whatisup02
I'm ready and can hardly wait, just eight more days and I hope I'll be posting a nice score with pictures too.
Been scouting a little here and there and I got a good idea where there roosting, feeding and struting so with any luck I'll getting my bird within the first three to five days of my hunting time.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

I am flying blind. But I think I will have some luck.

Quick Reply: Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.