HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   '09 Turkey Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/09-turkey-contest-96/)
-   -   Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! " (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/09-turkey-contest/286886-team-1-we-dont-need-flocking-team-name-were-1-a.html)

JoeA 05-01-2009 06:49 PM

RE: Team 1 thread

GO GET'EM!

BetterBirddogs 05-01-2009 07:18 PM

Guys tell me what you think happened on this deal. I stopped the upload on the video when he goes back into the trees because he doesn't come back out after that. I did call him back to the edge of the woods but could never get him to come back out into the open. He would just strut about 5 yards inside the trees but wouldn't commit. I'm after him in the morning rain or shine.

http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/BetterBirddogs/Hunting%20Pics/?action=view&current=TurkeyHunt4-22-09.flv

JW 05-02-2009 07:36 AM

Well there is a very nice bird about to be entered and Team #1 will move to second place inthe 11 man event......but with anyone of us upgrading and any one who has not taken a bird scores = we will right back inthe thick of it!

Ya gotta beleive!

JW

Western MA Hunter 05-02-2009 09:42 AM

I believe JW...
went out w/ my soon to be B.I.L. today for his first turkey hunt and one of my buddies who has yet to score this season. Had one going for awhile up in the middle of nowhere about 3 miles in... would love to have laid eyes on him... he went off in the other direction after an hour or so of working him... don't know if a hen came in or what... fun day though.. put some miles on... another buddy took a jake... that is all he has seen since season opened... still has another MA tag.

gmil6184 05-02-2009 05:58 PM

Hey guys, been after them the last two days but so far no luck. The NY opener was Friday and the weather sucked! the wind was howling all morning and it was misting rain. I managed to call in a decent two year old bird to my younger brother. He hadn't got a bird in years so I let him shoot first, made a hell of a shot too...every bit of 45 yards. Went out this morning and there were three gobbling their heads off on the roost, my father and I sneaked in and set up on them but as soon as we started calling they shut right up...musta been something we said haha. But all in all its been very quiet so far, haven't been hearing many gobbles or gunshots. But I'm going back out the next couple mornings and then again next weekend so hopefully i'll figure them out.

Western MA Hunter 05-03-2009 03:51 AM

Gmil... where in NY are you?
I shot mine in Lebanon. Wife's uncle took a nice tom yesterday late AM... saw 5 toms & 7 jakes in one field... of course he won't tell me where!

BetterBirddogs 05-03-2009 08:00 AM

We're catching some breakfast as I type and then we're headed to a couple of new spots to bowhunt this afternoon. We've had a bunch of rain and one of girlfriend's co workers at work shot a tom yesterday and said he didn't fly down off the roost until 8:15. I think the rain has them a little screwed up.

hycohounds 05-03-2009 04:52 PM

hey guys, sorry i've been a no show lately. i had 1 driver have a triple by-pass, 1 driver on his honeymoon and another driver walk out because were short handed and he didn't like all the hours so i've been real busy. i only got 2 hunt 4 days after opening week and 3 of them i never heard a gobble. our season ended thursday. saturday while planting food plots we saw 2 gobblers in the road and another in a food plot. just my luck.........tony

IowaHunter11 05-03-2009 06:05 PM

RE: Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Can i join because the 8th man is not accounted for ?

MGH_PA 05-04-2009 03:38 AM

RE: Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Well guys, no luck yet. I did have the guy pinpointed again Saturday. Got in nice and early, got my decoy out and settled in. Around 5:30, he started firing off like crazy. Double and triple gobbles right where I thought he would be. I gave a few yelps, he responded, but he wasn't getting closer. He gobbled like crazy, but never got closer. He shutup about 10 minutes later, and that was that for the REST of the morning. I'm assuming he flew down and was with hens (never had a visual, just a guess). When I was leaving later in the morning, I heard two or three gobbling on the other side of the valley, but it's off the property line and a long ways off. It's strange. I didn't hear near the vocalization I did last Saturday. I think they may be henned up around here. Patience, though. The longer it I wait, the less hens that will become available, and then it's truly like the Turkey "rut.":D