HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   '09 Turkey Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/09-turkey-contest-96/)
-   -   Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! " (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/09-turkey-contest/286886-team-1-we-dont-need-flocking-team-name-were-1-a.html)

Western MA Hunter 04-27-2009 06:41 AM

RE: Team 1 thread

I'll get another this week sometime!!!
guy shot a 20lb bird right across the street this AM.. all in close proximity to where the kid shot his Sat... actually, I was about 150 yards from that spot!!!
4 more toms spoted as well.

JW 04-27-2009 07:07 AM

I go back out May 6th.......I have scouted and even with winter kill I know where 3 toms are.......and I will have 4 days of scouting morning and night and hope to roost at least one of those boys so come Weds morning I can whack yet anudder!

JW

Western MA Hunter 04-27-2009 07:39 AM

I know you won't disappoint JW!!!
I am taking out mmy soon to be Brother In Law on Saturday.. He has never been... I hope to get him a shot.

gmil6184 04-27-2009 10:20 AM

Awesome job WesternMA that's a real nice bird! With any luck i'll be adding to the team total this weekend

Western MA Hunter 04-27-2009 11:23 AM

Go get em Gmil...

BetterBirddogs 04-27-2009 01:30 PM

Good job Western MA! Keep it up boys. We can put a stangle hold on this deal with a couple birds this weekend! I'm headed out Friday to a couple new spots.

MGH_PA 04-28-2009 07:23 AM

Looks good so far, guys! Congrats to those with birds down. I went on the Saturday PA opener. Had a NICE tom coming in with two (possibly three because I never saw her over the rise, but he seemed hung up after the other two left) hens. A couple hard yelps from me got him to fire off. Then I shut up. I watched him strut, spit and drum, double gobble for almost 30 minutes. Both hens worked their way past me at about 10yds, never saw me (ASAT works!). I figured he would come in with them, but he wouldn't. He simply hung up in the field spitting and drumming all fanned out. Finally I enticed him in with a few soft yelps/purrs. He circled around me from the side, which required me to shift when he got behind a tree. Once he popped out at 20yds, I put the bead on his head, and pulled the trigger...NOTHING. No click, just a dead trigger. I pulled it again...nothing! At this point I was ready to throw my gun at the bird or attempt a charge attack I was so furious, lol. I quickly realized something wasn't right with my gun, so I had to at least make sure I didn't spook him. So I sat still, and he gobbled a few more times, scanned the woods, and left. Luckily he never knew I was there.

Once I got back to the house, I saw that there's something wrong with the sear/firing pin (must have happened during transport or it was an issue waiting for a while to show up, because last time I shot it, it was ok). Oh well. Back out this weekend with the backup gun. Sorry guys, I almost had one down for our team.

JW 04-28-2009 07:42 AM

MGH - good job on not spooking........and we as a team feel for ya!

Now go get 'em!

JW

Western MA Hunter 04-28-2009 08:51 AM

That sucks MGH... JW is right though.. at least you didn't spook him... you had him!
Keep at it.

JW 04-28-2009 01:11 PM

I need to admit I missed a nice Tom.......well he is just fine as I worked him close but not that close this past weekend. He did send his Jake to see - to which son-in-law passed on.

Big boy can be had and I know how to set-up the next time we go.......

JW