Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Turnips, clover, and grass

Old 08-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Turnips, clover, and grass

Ok, at the end of June I tilled under my winter wheat from last year and planted a mix of red and white clover, rape, turnips and soybeans. After a long dry spell, we finally got some rain. Now the turnips and beans are growing very well, but the plot is full of grass. I can see the clover sprouting underneath.
My question is, should I mow the grass? If I do, I will also cut off the turnip tops and the beans. We are still a month from the frost date(Sept 15). Should I just let it go?
Brian
Old 08-16-2003, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turnips, clover, and grass

Sounds like a good plot. Your question is a tough one. - I assume you plan to let the plot winter over - and be mostly clover for the next couple years.

Assuming this is so - mowing is definitely in the future anyhow, BUT now' s not the time, Given that its mid summer - I' d let the grass act as a nurse crop for the clover (along with the greens). Mowing will hurt - but not kill off the soybeans, rape, and turnips - it will slow down grasses, but not kill them either, especially a " topper" type mowing - it invigorates grasses. I' d let them all grow.

I think you' ll find that if you have good Nitrogen levels, the Rape and Turnips will " take over" in a couple weeks.

PS - Just for the heck of it - mow a 10x10 ft or larger section - its the BEST Way to learn - don' t just take advice, people aren' t always right - and every plot/property is different.

Good luck,

Take some pictures (before and afters are great - we all learn)

- let us know how you make out

Old 08-17-2003, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply. I think I will mow a small section of it and see what happens. The turnips are 8" -12" high and the turnip itself is about the size of a golfball right now. And yes, I do plan to leave them over winter.
Last year I left my corn stand all winter, and the stalks gave me some trouble this spring. With the cedar swamp so close, I think I' m going to have it picked this year.
Brian
Old 08-17-2003, 04:17 PM
Spike

Brian I was face with the same decision about 6 weeks ago as my plot of premium perenial came up thick and lush but was full of grass. Premium perenial consists of brassicas, chicory and clovers which are all broadleaf so I opted to try a grass herbicide called poast plus. Now my plot looks much better and just yesterday I made a homemade wickapplicator to kill some of the grasses that were missed and the few taller weeds in the plot. At first I was real hesitant to try the poast but now Im glad I did as it worked quite well. Good luck!