Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever see a black deer ?

Old 12-16-2003, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ever see a black deer ?

I have heard alot of talk about white deer and albinos but it turns out that they are not the rarest color pattern found in nature. A melanistic or black deer is far more rare than a white one. I have never heard of this until my brother saw one last week while hunting. I was a little skeptical at first but after a little research I found that it is quite possible. Here is a link for those interested.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.co...201melanistic/
Old 12-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ever see a black deer ?

Back in the mid '70s me and another fellow hunted this big jet black buck for 4 yrs. We would see him several times a year but never were able to get a shot off at him. Years later I talked to another hunter that hunted close to the same area who said he and some of his buds had also seen this deer several times, but were never able to get a shot either. Never heard of anyone killing him so I guess he died of old age or got hit by a car or something. I'm sure if someone had killed him it would have made the news down here.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I saw one doe? about 4 years ago cross this guys yard in broad daylight.
I thought he was crazy until I went to the window and saw it myself. The only white on this deer was under the tail.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Andrew Hargrove shot this rare melanistic buck in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, in 2002.
I remember this picture and the story being in our local paper last year. He took it about 40 minutes from my home.

It is trully an unusual circumstance to find a melanistic deer in your area. I have seen a few "dark colored" deer over the years but nothing that I would classify as melanistic.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like my dog, only five times heavier and with antlers.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:32 AM

black deer white deer who gives a hoo-ha bust it,especially if it has character like color or non-typical, my favorite
Old 12-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw one once but I'm not sure it was a whitetail. A very large herd of Fallow deer where accidentally released into the wild near where I live. They have a tendence to have a lot more weird color variations than typical whitetails. They also have some big weird looking non typical racks. Most of them have been killed off now but every now and again someone will still see one.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never saw a black one, but I had one turn white when he saw me pointing my bow in his direction.