Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Am I doing something wrong?

Old 11-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

The ball didn;t slip through my fingers, I passed it off to you.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
oldtimr "touched the ball" but let it slip through his fingers. How is your stand "elevated"? Did you build something? Your statement up there tells me that you spooked them off. Deer are habitual creatures to a POINT but when something has changed in their habitat they get spooked. It takes time for them to get accustomed to certain changes and sometimes they will leave an area for good. You may just need to give them more time to get accustomed to whatever you built. It would probably be best if you completely left them alone for this year and hope for better results next deer season.
Well said. I had a rickety old stand on stilts and saw many deer (sometimes 60 a day!). Built a new "ground" stand and sightings went way down for a couple years. Now the deer are back to normal.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by warbirdlover
Well said. I had a rickety old stand on stilts and saw many deer (sometimes 60 a day!). Built a new "ground" stand and sightings went way down for a couple years. Now the deer are back to normal.
I built a 6ft tall platform for my blind and I built it a week before opening but didn't hunt until two weeks later. I hope they haven't left, but there are other properties near that I am hearing gun fire from so deer are near here at least. If this is the case, not to be so anxious about it, is there any way to attract them back this way or should I really just wait till next year?

Also, I got a climber that sits about 200-300yrds away, you think I should give it a try?
Old 11-20-2015, 04:34 AM
Dominant Buck

There is nothing automatic about deer especially this time of year. They can change patterns and feeding areas for no apparent reason. If you are hearing shooting that means they are close by but just in another patch of woods. Often times that hunting action will cause deer to move. Stay in the game and don't let up. Sooner or later there will be deer on that property in the location you picked. I would try the other stand just because it hasn't been used lately. I always alternate my stands just to reduce the chance of burning it out.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the deer aren't coming to you, go to them. Go to your other stand and see if that location shows results. I would also go to various locations on your property and do all day sits. Minimize your movement during the season (hunt, don't scout at this time) and use post season to scout or sit to observe potential movement. The deer-if they left-will likely return to escape the other property hunters. Also not a bad idea to set yourself near your property boundary line and potentially encounter deer evading to or from your land.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:41 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
There is nothing automatic about deer especially this time of year. They can change patterns and feeding areas for no apparent reason. If you are hearing shooting that means they are close by but just in another patch of woods. Often times that hunting action will cause deer to move. Stay in the game and don't let up. Sooner or later there will be deer on that property in the location you picked. I would try the other stand just because it hasn't been used lately. I always alternate my stands just to reduce the chance of burning it out.
Thanks for the info man for real. I'm still a beginner and I know I am still learning. I guess everyone here must know how I feel about being so anxious to get one. Last year was definitely a lot better. But I will try out the climber next and let you guys know how it went.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by mathewhunter2014
Thanks for the info man for real. I'm still a beginner and I know I am still learning. I guess everyone here must know how I feel about being so anxious to get one. Last year was definitely a lot better. But I will try out the climber next and let you guys know how it went.
Please make sure you wear an appropriate safety harness. Stay attached to the tree all the way up and down. Easy thing to overlook especially since you are new to hunting. When it does work out for you it will be very rewarding since you stuck with it. Remember many people don't score every year...that is why they call it hunting. It is the trip not the destination that is important. Good luck....
Old 11-20-2015, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just an idea, I've watched new hunters sitting, from a long way off it looks like a flash camera going off as they turn their heads from side to side.

I say enjoy the experience. Sure I get a thrill when I make a good shot. But I can honestly say I really don't care if I shoot anything or not at this stage of the game. I just enjoy the experience.

I go out and just sit often, maybe take a Fox if the opportunity presents itself. Even then I wait until the end of the hunt/sit to shoot.

Learning patience is a large part of it.

I'm with the other guys, scent is a lesser factor IMO. If man scent spooks your Deer, not a lot you can do about it (you have to breath ). Some places scent is more important than others, depends on how used to it the Deer are or how spooky they are. IMO, motion, reflective clothing, whiter and brighter washing detergent and your face has a larger impact, especially in low light. My guess is most game sees reflected light better than we do and reflected light is usually UV.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 11-20-2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
Just an idea, I've watched new hunters sitting, from a long way off it looks like a flash camera going off as they turn their heads from side to side.
Good mention, MC.
If not face paint, I wear a camo, mesh head net. I also try to minimize head movement by slighty, slowly turning the head but rolling the eyes more so to maximize left/right views. I wear glasses and reflection can really break a hunt. So to help control that I place myself in the shade. The brim of my cap is pulled down to block reflections/glare, leaving just enough room to visually peer out.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 11-20-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I had the same issue with the glasses. After LASIK it is a different world. Cool Utube MC. I have had them close but that was something else.