Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Am I doing something wrong?

Old 11-19-2015, 05:29 AM
Spike

Default Am I doing something wrong?

This is my second year hunting and second year hunting on the same property. Last year I saw around 6 deer within shooting distance of my tree stand.

This year I am hunting out of a blind lifted up 6ft. Not the prettiest setup but I'm covered and in the air.

My problem is this: I had a trail camera up that is about 100 yards east of my blind and before I setup my blind, I checked my cam and I had a few deer on it. But ever since I put up my stand, I haven't seen anything nor has my cam.

I'm on private property, nobody hunts here except for me, and I make sure that I take all of the necessary steps before and after hunting like using non-scent items (body wash, shampoo, deodorant, spray) and I enter my blind quietly and exit my blind quietly.

Last year, all the deer I saw came from the east (where my trail cam is).

Could I be doing something wrong? Please let me know. I still consider myself a beginner.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:45 AM
Banned

hard to say without more information.are you sitting still?are you downwind of where you expect deer to come from?are deer even still in area or have they moved on?just a few things to think on.not knowing your area not much more I can add, if you have a specific question don't be afraid to ask it.
that's why it's called hunting, not killing. keep at it, persistence will pay off.everyone must learn as they go and none of us ever get to the point we know it all.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kidoggy
hard to say without more information.are you sitting still?are you downwind of where you expect deer to come from?are deer even still in area or have they moved on?just a few things to think on.not knowing your area not much more I can add, if you have a specific question don't be afraid to ask it.
that's why it's called hunting, not killing. keep at it, persistence will pay off.everyone must learn as they go and none of us ever get to the point we know it all.
I am sitting still, I'm in my blind.

Well I am in Indiana. I am about 45 minutes south west of Indianapolis. It's about 50 degrees outside. Also, I never have understood the whole wind direction thing when it came to hunting. Idk how you are able to determine that. It feels like the wind is blowing north east. And I expect the deer to come from south east to east direction. But I'm a little west of where they usually come from. I also don't know if deer have left this area, but last year, I saw deer here all the way up till the end of December.

What other Information would you need?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mathewhunter2014
I am sitting still, I'm in my blind.

Well I am in Indiana. I am about 45 minutes south west of Indianapolis. It's about 50 degrees outside. Also, I never have understood the whole wind direction thing when it came to hunting. Idk how you are able to determine that. It feels like the wind is blowing north east. And I expect the deer to come from south east to east direction. But I'm a little west of where they usually come from. I also don't know if deer have left this area, but last year, I saw deer here all the way up till the end of December.

What other Information would you need?
other information?well map of your area might be a start. it is just tough to say how I, PERSONALLY WOULD DO IT , different without knowing anything firsthand about the area, therefor ,I cannot really say if or what your doing wrong. only suggest a few things to think about.

when I say sitting still , deer can detect the slightest movement.
are you being as silent as possible? because same goes for sound.
you don't want them downwind of you. because same goes for scent
Old 11-19-2015, 07:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kidoggy
other information?well map of your area might be a start. it is just tough to say how I, PERSONALLY WOULD DO IT , different without knowing anything firsthand about the area, therefor ,I cannot really say if or what your doing wrong. only suggest a few things to think about.

when I say sitting still , deer can detect the slightest movement.
are you being as silent as possible? because same goes for sound.
you don't want them downwind of you. because same goes for scent
I got a picture of the land but it won't let me load it. I will here later.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just an idea, maybe you are laying down what I call a scent fence when you are walking in. Not only are some Deer hesitant to follow a trail with human scent on it, they can even be hesitant to cross a trail of human scent.

I had one hunting area where, in many years of hunting there, I never saw a Deer come in the same direction I walked in. I'm talking about a whole compass direction or a half circle. They'd come in from due West and sometimes from the South east. I usually walked in from the North. Wind was typically West to East.

Not much foot traffic or contact with humans there, human scent would spook them. I wash with base soap, which is getting hard to find here.

Something else about this spot, the Hogs would cross periodically North/South, usually North to South, sometimes the opposite direction, The Deer avoided the Hog trails, almost those two compass directions. I'm talking a wide swath maybe a fifty yards wide or wider. It is like the Deer just refused to walk the same ground as the Hogs did. When the Hogs were coming, the first tip off was often a Deer leaving in a panic, usually a Doe with a fawn. Deer are notional, I've seen them feeding right next to the Hogs, most Deer fear them, especially the Doe with Fawn.

Maybe you have some Yotes Hunting that area?

I had one area that was rich with Deer, just dry up. Took me months to figure it out. A pair of Dogs would make a loop most every night, they'd walk themselves. My guess is the owner would let them out and they'd come home again a couple of hours later. I saw their sign numerous times, one large Dog one medium Dog. I never did actually see them. I imagine Yotes could cause the same thing.

Just some ideas.

I use my Jeep to scout. I set up on a good spot with a good view and a pair of Binoculars. I usually setup way early 3 A.M. and just sit in the Jeep and watch. Once I get an idea of Deer movements I place my high seat or blind. Full Moon is a good time for this. And/or using farm roads and checking tracks after a rain or snow.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 11-19-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Often deer will just move from one area to another. They will often bed near a feeding area and in the mid west that feed is often a crop field which can change from one year to another. It is always best to place your stand location down wind from where you expect the deer to come from. If that can't be done going up vertically into a tree stand often helps. I wouldn't sit in the same spot day after day. Move around on the property and see what happens.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can see 360 degrees out of my tree stands so I don't worry much about wind and it has never affected my success. I also have never been a big proponent of worrying about scent free clothing and sprays etc. One thing you did not say is how long has your blind been in place. Deer will avoid things that are new for a while. Since you are on private land, your blind or stand should be placed at least a month before deer season.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Must be the "old" in both OT and myself but I agree about not worrying about the scent free clothing....we probably smell like a deer who knows. I try to be aware of wind direction especially since I am a still hunter and tracker with gun rather than a stand sitter. With bow I sit in tree stands and haven't really had much problem with wind. I put up more than a few stands and use them only when the wind in right and rotate to not burn a spot out. I have had my best luck when sitting in a stand that has been rested for a few days.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

My problem is this: I had a trail camera up that is about 100 yards east of my blind and before I setup my blind, I checked my cam and I had a few deer on it. But ever since I put up my stand, I haven't seen anything nor has my cam.
oldtimr "touched the ball" but let it slip through his fingers. How is your stand "elevated"? Did you build something? Your statement up there tells me that you spooked them off. Deer are habitual creatures to a POINT but when something has changed in their habitat they get spooked. It takes time for them to get accustomed to certain changes and sometimes they will leave an area for good. You may just need to give them more time to get accustomed to whatever you built. It would probably be best if you completely left them alone for this year and hope for better results next deer season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.