Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting Basics

Old 04-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by outdoor lifestyle
Hello everyone, I understand that my video is premature and the advice that I give is not the typical basics you have while hunting. I now know I have to research more and do more homework. I understand that some of you guys have been hunting your whole life and it's a passion of yours. I'm learning each day more and more about the sport and it's just all part of the process and experience. I appreciate all the helpful comments and will use all your advice in my next video. I'm here to learn and see different ways people hunt and to learn from that. I'm sorry for offending you if I did and hopefully it does not totally take you away from my videos.

Dominic From Outdoor Lifestyle
That right there young man is the attitude that will take you far in life. I know I am a mean old cuss at times but in all honesty I was only trying to open your eyes a little bit. Most kids today have absolutely no respect for those of us that have "been there done that" because some, if not most, parents today do not bolster or command respect from their kids. Nor do a lot of them earn or even deserve it. All 5 of my "spawn" know pappy's foot intimately and learned respect for their elders while still in diapers. But more importantly, they learned that there is ALWAYS something to learn and you can even learn something from the dumbest guy in the crowd if you just listen and open yourself up to it.

Keep at it, don't get all dejected, learn from those that are truly "in the know" and never lose that passion for this beloved pastime! Oh and BTW, I now you probably have obtained a license deal to sell those BH's but take some honestly given advise from someone that has tested, used, hunted with, just about every kind of BH made. NEVER try to sell something that someone ELSE told you was good. Sell it ONLY after you have tested it yourself, seen the damage it can do, know it's true flight potential, and can honestly stand behind the product with the knowledge that you have seen it for yourself. The only TRUE way to test a BH's true potential is to run the thing through a hog or a deer or Elk or whatever Big Game Animal. Yes you can get a small idea running it through a plastic can of water but that's not in any way going to show you the opening potential of a blade. It's just going to show you it can "bust a damn bucket" which I can do with a field tip Marketing and real honesty very seldom walk hand in hand.

Good luck and keep at it kiddo.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by gjersy
He's 17 yrs old. Flags PLEASE stop bragging about your 5 african trips, yet AGAIN,AGAIN,AGAIN and yet AGAIN! Outdoorlifestyle, your young, You should get more hunting knowledge before posting advice on youtube, in my opinion, keep hunting though bud!
The OP has begged several times on this forum for us to watch his video claiming it is full of all kinds of "great" info about hunting basics. Well, I watched it and it has nothing of importance. When I mention Africa, it is not to brag but to establish my credentials as a way of enforcing what I say. Bottom line, this 17 year old s trying to make himself and his level of knowledge to appear other than what they actually are.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by outdoor lifestyle
I'm sorry for offending you if I did and hopefully it does not totally take you away from my videos.

Make no mistake about it, you are not "offending" me. But you need to spend a little time thinking about a project like this and how it will be received, especially by an audience that most likely knows more about the topic than you do. Your list of "basics" would never make the cut for me. But then, I've been hunting for a long, long time.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rather than make videos at the ripe old age of 17, IMHO this nice young man needs to watch a lot more done by seasoned professionals and learn from websites like this one way before he tries to make any more where most people will just shake their heads and make comments like I'm reading. The good thing is that he's into hunting, rather than video games and all this other baloney the kids are absorbed in nowadays. For the OP, if you are intent in making more videos, please at least back off from the camera, get it level and not pointing up at a ceiling, and have a script you can follow that makes some sense for the subject you're talking about. This is just a little advice from another old timer that has longjohns older than you are and that has been hunting for 60+ years. Hang in there and please learn before teaching!
Old 04-07-2015, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will add the something in I noticed in his videos and you touched on it Topgun. I understand alot of people that make youtube videos use this angle to not display the room behind them as most are using a webcam either built into their computer or attached via a USB.

Might I suggest to the young man, evaluate what you see on other outdoor shows. When they are talking are they using a backdrop or are they at a location that enhances the conversation. Subject which would include you should be center of the screen with minimal distraction in the background. Learn to use some basic video editing tools and also figure out proper lighting and sound.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think that some of the people replying to this post need to check themselves. I see no need or purpose in saying how long anyone has been hunting, how many animals they have taken or where they have hunted. All that has nothing to do with anything here. If you want to tell me to go s myself – go for it. I don’t know if some people have been having their Cheerios tinkled in lately but frankly some of this stuff is a bit embarrassing to this community.

I watched the video and to me Dominic seems like an average 17 year old. He speaks well enough and seems to communicate what he wants to say. I will say further he appears to be educated to a level I would say is a bit more than average. He presents himself as I would expect.

Guys, I think he is ambitious and he came here looking for helpful suggestions and contributions as to what to carry in the field and (I assume) why to carry any things people suggest. I admire him for sticking around and putting up with all this ridiculous criticism. Most would have walked away saying they don’t need to be treated like he has.

HN used to be a warm and accommodating place where a young guy like this could come here and get a helping hand and support. Members were willing to help out a youngster interested in what we all share as a passion. I’m just asking can we continue this thread in a positive fashion? Can we give Dominic some good equipment suggestions and the purpose or reasoning behind them?

Maybe it’s just me but I think it would be much more rewarding to contribute and maybe see Dominic post another video down the line using contributions he got here about equipment and setting up the shoot.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Spike

Thank you for that @UncleMatt. I joined this site to learn and see different ways people hunt and styles they use. I will be posting a video soon on a different topic. You as well as the other members gave me good advice even if some was on the harsher side and I believe my next video the majority will enjoy, if not I'm sure I'll hear about it but I'll go right back to work and fix what needs to be fixed. Again thank you and I appreciate it.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just a thought here Dominic, but instead of going into things like you already tried to do at your young age when you know most everyone you're trying to get to watch your videos are old timers, why don't you start with one simple thing. Maybe a good one would be to go outdoors and show how, where, and why you set up your trail cameras where you do. To try and start out like you did when your audience has so much knowledge from decades of doing things, it's sort of like you are going out and trying to tell the NASA folks how to send a man to Mars! Start out with just one thing, make it very simple and understandable and go from there. If you don't even know how to edit a film it's going to be very difficult for you to put out a decent one where anyone will want to come back to watch more. Good luck and please know that most everyone here is on your side just because of your passion for hunting alone, but you are still in the very early stages of the learning curve and a long way from the teaching end of the subject. The sooner you realize that IMHO the quicker you will progress in what you are trying to do.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post Uncle Matt, some newbies log on here and play "Mr. know it all", and bully 17 year olds, thats sad... This sight is (and used to be about) hunting, knowledge and sharing the craft of hunting.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are really looking to make something out of hunting videos you are getting some of the worst advice I have ever seen.

I know quite a few people that hunt for a living. Some videoing and some hunting. One thing they have in common is none of them waited until they had been hunting for 40 years and were 50 years old and knew everything to start.

One guy in particular grew up about a mile up the road from me, now he is about 30 and 2 weeks ago was filming and hunting stag in the mountains of New Zealand for Scent Blocker. If he took the advice you are being given he would be working in a factory saving up for his first trip to africa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.