Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Finished up a couple of grunters today.ll >

Finished up a couple of grunters today.ll

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finished up a couple of grunters today.ll

Old 11-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finished up a couple of grunters today.ll

One's going to Virginia, the other is staying here in Missouri. Thanks for looking!! Scott.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

PM me a price, would like to have one
RR
Old 11-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool, nice looking work!
Old 11-22-2014, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your interested in hearing one. Click on the link.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sc...02394319817384
Old 11-22-2014, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

very nice...do you use stick free reeds?
Old 11-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ojibwa
very nice...do you use stick free reeds?
To be honest, I can't answer that. The packaging from where I buy them doesn't say anything about being stick free. I haven't heard of guys having issues with them other than the o rings wearing out. I know quite a few call builders that use the same reeds, and like I said, haven't heard. I can tell you that they are plastic, and if its cold enough ouside, and your using it an awful lot, I can see where it might freeze from the moisture you exhale. Its a good question, I'll have to look into it. Thanks for asking!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mastevt
To be honest, I can't answer that. The packaging from where I buy them doesn't say anything about being stick free. I haven't heard of guys having issues with them other than the o rings wearing out. I know quite a few call builders that use the same reeds, and like I said, haven't heard. I can tell you that they are plastic, and if its cold enough ouside, and your using it an awful lot, I can see where it might freeze from the moisture you exhale. Its a good question, I'll have to look into it. Thanks for asking!
I normally use the Quaker boy HEX ridge runners because the reeds are stick and freeze free, look into the reed design you might be able to get them for your calls..
Old 11-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ojibwa
I normally use the Quaker boy HEX ridge runners because the reeds are stick and freeze free, look into the reed design you might be able to get them for your calls..
I sent my vendor an email on your question, this is what I sent him.

"Also, I had a customer ask if the reed is stick and freeze free. Can you elaborate on that if it is or not? Thanks."

This is what Al sent as a reply:

"As for the reeds sticking in cold weather, all reeds will freeze if it is really cold outside. With a buck grunt, it is probably unlikely because you don't blow them enough to build up the condensation in the barrel. Also, since the reed is so large, and the tone board as well, it is really unlikely to happen. I've never had it happen to me, nor have I ever heard of it. It would have to be really cold and you would have to be constantly blowing on the call. If it is a real concern, an old trick predator callers use will help. Get some Cheese Cloth, you can find it lots of places, and cut a small square, fold it a couple of layers thick and hold it over the mouth piece of the call. The Cheese Cloth will trap most of the condensation and keep the call from freezing up. It works on any call. Up here, when it gets below 0 and we are calling coyotes, we use it all the time."

Al essentially said the same thing I said, but added some great advise with the cheese cloth. If Quaker Boy is claiming that their reeds are stick and freeze free, it is more than likely a sales pitch. Which, you can't blame them. If it works for them to sell their product, who am I to cry about it. I can say, that my customers would rather have a custom hand crafted, great sounding call, that they can cherish for a long time, rather than buy a store bought production call. Thanks again for the question! I really do appreciate the inquiry. Hope ya have a great season, and up coming Holidays. Scott.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the response...

but I must add...

I have used The quaker boy calls for almost 20 years and have used them in sub freezing temps many times.. I also need to add I blow my grunters every 15 to 20 mins and have never had one stick or freeze.. maybe your vendor gave his response because he does not sell or can not get the same kind of reeds and sounding boards?
I have to add quaker boys secret is not the reeds but the sounding boards they use..
Old 11-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice work.