Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Barometric pressure and deer?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the Adirondacks, if the deer waited for the actual changes in the weather to hit, they would be chit out of luck. Barometric changes almost, if not always precede weather changes. Weather here, much like Alaska, can turn on a dime due to the influence of the High Peaks, more than Forty Mtns. in a relatively small area, ranging from 4,000 to 5,000 plus ft. At least here, as is the case throughout the world,drops or rises in barometric pressure precipitate weather conditions. Through evolution, which would include sensory receptors that even the biologists/scientists don't fully understand, { they have yet to find a deer that will " give up the goods " lol } animals much of the time know what's coming.
Frankly, I believe IMHO, it is ludicrous to suggest other wise.
Barometric issues is one of Mother natures " heads up ". I would think creatures, who's lives depend on it, will make the call, before the weather hits.or actual changes in the weather occur.

It is far from the Chicken and the egg issue.

Last edited by crokit; 07-21-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
certainly seem to notice more movement before a storm, which means the pressure is dropping I believe.
I also agree!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Spike

well guys I want to thank you for your incite, This is a dang good thread. Have always wondered things like this but never been smart enough to study and figure it out. I personally have noticed that the evening before a storm rolls in they are out in more abundance, and right after a storm they are up and easier to find as well as along as the wind doesn't howl. Thanks again for this most valuable thread.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Fork Horn

U R welcome - I'm here to help.

And I just started another deer, bear and turkey research project, which should last 3 years. Read the "NEW Wildlife Research Study" thread to folloow what I find.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wyheadhunter
well guys I want to thank you for your incite, This is a dang good thread. Have always wondered things like this but never been smart enough to study and figure it out. I personally have noticed that the evening before a storm rolls in they are out in more abundance, and right after a storm they are up and easier to find as well as along as the wind doesn't howl. Thanks again for this most valuable thread.
WYHunter: Your already well on your way to being ahead of the game. Just keep your eye on the barometer. It will rarely let you down when trying to determine weather that's coming. Study what different barometer readings represent as far as weather patterns, and you'll be clued in just as the deer are,and BINGO!