Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Camera setup

Old 02-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Camera setup

Hi,

Lots of questions have been posted on what camera to buy, so here goes another one. I am wanting to get a mid priced ($1000 or less) camera with 3ccd and minidv tapes. I was looking at the Panasonic PV-GS500. But due to the fact that I haave no idea what I am looking at can a wireless mic be used with these type of cameras? Can a shotgun mic be used on one of these?

Thanks
Jake
Old 02-05-2008, 01:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Camera setup

You can use either a shotgun mic. (with a 1/8" plug mini-jack) or a wireless set-up that uses 1/8" mini jack on most consumer cameras................unfortunately it is difficult if not impossible to use both a wire-less system and a shotgun mic. as there is usually only one mini jack recepticle on most(if not all)consumer cameras. To get pro audio you will need to upgrade to a pro-sumer camera, most of which use XLR inputs for 2 channel audio or you can get an XLR adaptor that will allow you to use both shotgun and a wire-less set-up(I suppose you could possibly do this on some consumer models if they are compatible).................If I were having to choose between a wire-less system or a shotgun mic........I would opt for the shotgun mic everytime,it will p/u way more ambient sounds (which you want in a woods setting) and will also p/u voices if they are within a few yards of the mic. With a wire-less system you are limited to sound from only what your lapel mic is connected to (hunter, or possibly a turkey or deer decoy) and most ambient sounds will not be picked up.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Camera setup

Thanks for the info, that was what I was looking for. I have been reviewing some of the used higher-end cameras on ebay (Sony PD 170, etc.) but I am always leary spending $1500 or so with a person who I have little knowledge if they are legit or not. I appreciate the response. I may ask a few more questions of you.

Thanks
Jake