Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Filming A Hunt

Old 12-14-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Filming A Hunt

Hey everyone,

I am trying to do some research so I can make a proper judgement on what to do. Your help would be great.

Questions:

1: As it relates to filming a hunt, what would you say is the biggest challenge? Why?

2: When filming the hunting videos, do you prefer to do it alone or to have a partner along with you? Why?

3: In hunting videos today, do you prefer to "Act" (setting up gun shots, trigger releases, spotting the game, find the game after kill, etc) or no acting at all? Why?

4: Do you prefer hunting & filming on the ground or in a tree stand? What seems to be more interesting to watch and why?

5: Would it be better to film in HD or SD, which one is the best and worst?

6: Does it make a difference to have a wireless mic on the shooter?

Thanks for your time and I again, any help would be appreciated?
Old 12-14-2007, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Filming A Hunt

#1. Getting the camera and hunteron the same page, Cameraman says yes to shoot or not!!
#2. For the best footage I always have a cameraman with me.
#3.No acting big pet peeve!!!
#4.I almost always am in a tree but have no problems being on the ground!!
#5.Right now HD is not fully delvelpoed and most are still useing DV.
#6.We always use wireless mics at all times!!
Walt
Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 PM

1: Getting all the shots necessary to tell a good story. Everything usually happens pretty quickly and walking around to get all different angles will make the hunter want to shoot you.

2:Cameraman. Definitely. If thehunter has to shoot the animal with both gun and camera, heis only half as effective at each.

3: Hunters usually aren't actors. The audience can see right through them. It's your call, but acting greatly risks believability.

4:Ground. A lot easier to move to different angles and it's more exhilirating when you and the animal are on the same plane.

5:HD image is incredible, but a little bit more technical to work with than SD.

6: Yes. Half of a video is sound. Mics are more important than people think.

Ok, now here's a question for you. What are you collecting this info for?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Predator House
Ok, now here's a question for you. What are you collecting this info for?
Thanks for the replay, I have had a few people ask me to film one of there hunts and I was unsure of somethings with the production side of filming a hunt. Doing television shows are easy but filming in the woods is something new to me. I didn't want to be unprepared you know.

Thanks for your replay.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:16 PM

Thanks for your replay.

To question 3:
quote: ( No acting big pet peeve!!! )

- I am not to excited about having the hunters act. I am just seeing it more and more on the hunting shows and thought it must me a new trend.

Again thanks.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:51 PM

Hey Guys,

I just did the first shoot in the woods and man I tell you. It is not as easy as it seems. I had a hard time keeping the camera steady when panning across while zooming in. Plus when the temperature changed, I had a hard time keeping the lines from fogging up. is there any techniques that could help me stop the fog from forming plus what can I do about the jagged moments.

Thanks for your help a head of time.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:20 PM

its so easy just havethe bestlike me
Old 01-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

try to post
Old 01-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Wow....sorry. I'm having some serious issues with posting.

Ok. I'm going to DISAGREE with almost everything that EVERYBODY said.
There are NO ABSOLUTES in shooting video with the EXCEPTION of the way the camera operates...and that is up to the PROFESSIONALISM OF THE OPERATOR.
1.The biggest challenge is taping a successful, accident free, happy hunt.
Success depends on what your goals and intentions are.
2.If you're going to walk the walk then learn how to talk the talk........we don't film------we TAPE, SHOOT, VIDEO.......filming in the woods the way all the shows are done now is virtually impossible. TAPE......
NOw......IMO......1 hunter, 1 camera operator. Both need to COMMUNICATE in order to get the best video shots they can. Make a shot list of what is effective to telling your story. TRY to get as many as possible without rolling B stock\or 'faking' it. But in order to EFFECTIVELY tell your story there has to be fluid CONTINUITY which is part of cut aways, B roll, fake shots, etc. and learning how to make them MATCH the original footage.
This is another reason you need to have an expert camera operator\technician WHO KNOWS HOW TO OPERATE the camera and its NUANCES.
Ground or treestand is individual choice. Non important question

Now HD vs. SDI........If you can afford all the necessary support equipment that goes with GOOD HD cameras and field equipment, go for it. If you get the proper stuff to shoot, record, view, make copies, store, sound, edit, etc. and can afford it..........DO IT.....
HD is all there and more.
I know this because I am an HD video Engineer having worked in HD since 1992 with the 1st generation cameras all the way to alot of what are being manufactured now.
The Process of Production is: Begin with the HIGHEST QUALITY you can shoot with......and it gets worse the closer you get to broadcast.
Most of the smaller prosumer HD cameras still have the ability to output or record SDI anyway if you must feel the need to save a few bucks.

Now audio......who cares if its wireless as long as your hunter has a mic on him for individually recorded audio. Yes, wireless is convenient........and expensive if you get good systems. In the field you should have a minimum of 2 sources--your onboard mic and another\preferably on another person\hunter. He can talk and communicate with the operator by whispering BECAUSE the camera operator SHOULD be wearing a headset and MONITORING THE LEVELS of audio. If properly set he can whisssssspeeeer........and be heard cleanly and clearly!

Please guys. Study and learn more about video and audio. Hunting forums--in my opinion--aren't the place to find out about it. I come here and get really frustrated answering silly questions about it.
Go to a good video forum for video answers. Go to a hunting forum for hunting answers.

Ok I"m thru being cynical......

Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: pm69442

Please guys. Study and learn more about video and audio. Hunting forums--in my opinion--aren't the place to find out about it. I come here and get really frustrated answering silly questions about it.
Go to a good video forum for video answers. Go to a hunting forum for hunting answers.
Maybe you could enlighten us with some good video forums.

Quick Reply: Filming A Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.