Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Deep frying question

Old 06-14-2005, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default Deep frying question

I skinned out my bird for a full cape. as a result I have what's left and was thinking of finally buying a deep fryer. Is it a problem to deep fry without the skin on?

Anything i should know if i do it? Cook less time etc??

Thanks .........OE
Old 06-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deep frying question

I wouldn't deep fry without the skin,it helps to seal in the juices and keep the bird moist.Just breast it and make soup with the rest and deep fry your next one
Old 06-14-2005, 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: dvdegeorge

I wouldn't deep fry without the skin,it helps to seal in the juices and keep the bird moist.Just breast it and make soup with the rest and deep fry your next one
same here,wait to fry the next one.the skin is the main thing to help with moisture.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Actually if all you did was skin it you can still deep fry it. There is a thin membrane over the meat that will hold in the juices. I deep fry all of my turkeys and they are skinned. Just make sure that the oil is up to temperature before you lower it into it that way it will seer that membrane and keep the juices in. All of mine have come out juicy and tasty. Cooking time is actually about10 minutes sooner than if it has the outer skin on it. Good luck and enjoy it. Pat
Old 06-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

It'll fry up fine w/o the skin. Just eat it quicker and you don't have to worry about it drying out. Also, make sure to leave some room in the pot for the oil to rise when you add the turkley and for the oil to foam up. If you don't, the oil will foam over as the juices in the meat boil out.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:39 PM

I've fried mine up with out the skin before, you get a crunchier outerlayer but the inside is just as juicy as if you had kept the skin on, Once you get your deep fryer, you will probably never bake or broil another turk.

~kep
Old 06-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

You also dont neccessarily have to use a deep fryer to fry your bird!Bone the breast out cut into strips or nuggets, dip into buttermilk,cover in flour,add salt and pepper,and fry in a regular frying pan withabout 2' of Cannola oil!About 2 to 3 minutes a side and fried turkey is served!!!!!
Old 06-26-2005, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bob , will you quit ! Man its to early to get into the turkey this morning I remember one time at the Ford Ranch , Chris Kirby did up the best turkey nuggets with Wing sause that I ever did eat. They were something I have never forgot. But now I can't get the recepy form him.

Good tip Bob...BT
Old 07-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

They all sound yummy.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:35 PM

I tried deep frying a bird without the skin but it wasn't too good. Now, I slice them into nuggets, coat them with a batter desinged for onion rings, and deep fry them that way. The whole family devours them with BBQ sauce!