Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mathews Icon

Old 02-11-2002, 08:31 PM

Default Mathews Icon

I have a couple of questions on the technical merits of the new Icon.

First I am curious as to where we are with this bow and velocity. In theory this is a 300 fps bow. That is low enough that I assume we aren't taking about getting 280+ with X7s. I used to always shoot bows drawing 70# 30", and could count on decent IBO speed, and ASA type speed, just by changing arrows. I remember owning (well I still have it, any offers?) A Mathews Signature 70/30 bow. Those things where only advertised at 295, same problem, too slow for IBO, and only fast enough for ASA with carbons. I know a lot of folks (who generally estimate yardage way better than me) are happy shooting the 280 speed for all their shooting, but I wonder where we are going with this. What is the strategy for offering such a slow bow? Obviously part of it is the idea that it will shoot that much better and be worth the velo loss. That was the idea with the Signature, a lovely bow, one of my favorites actually, but a lot of pros kept with the shorter ultralites, that would crank out 305-10 70/30. This kind of issue is all the more important to me now that injuries have forced me down to minimal shooting of 60# bows.

Also, I assume we are out of luck if we prefer the Muzzy ZE on this bow, and decided to stick with the roller guard (keep in mind that basicaly they are attributing some of the blistering speed on this think to the roller guard).

Also what does the Legacy bow look like what are the specs? Is it otherwise a Q2XL, a C2? The new Legacy appears to have more reflex than the Q2, which it is apparently otherwise most like.

Finaly, are we still stuck making do with the single rest mounting hole?
Old 02-11-2002, 10:49 PM

Default RE: Mathews Icon

the icon appears tobe more of a target bow & should work really good indoors & on the 3d range. it may not have the speed but that new cam looks real smooth and the bow is a little longer too which works great on target bows. the muzzy rest is a no go on this bow & the legacy. the golden key & the trap door should both work well with this bow if you want a drop away.

the icon seems to be geared for the indoor crowd & as a crossover for top 3d shooters. I think it will do a nice job on either & should be plenty fast for 3d.

here is link where you can check them both out http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/featu...icles/AMO2002/
Old 02-11-2002, 11:11 PM

Actualy you have a point Moonge, I guess they are keeping the Rival, C2, and Q2XL... I always sort of think of these things as a linear progresion, but maybe this is ment to be a little softer to shoot, there are lots of other choices if a person needs something faster.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:14 AM

Anyone know if they got there draw lenghts correct this year, or are they still running 3/4 to 1 inch long?
Old 02-12-2002, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I handled and drew the Icon last week. If I remember correctly, it is 38"a to a which really wasn't that big too long ago. I have a shoulder problem, and especially have trouble letting down without shooting. I can tell you that you could probably shoot an Icon with at least 5 # more draw weight than most of the other bows out there, and not even realize it. The cam peaks earlier than most singles, and is very easy to draw. If I was getting one, and wanted a drop away, I would probably get the Trophy Taker or maybe one of the newer ones. I believe that the Legacy is about the same length as the Q2, has the same cam as the Q2, and so it should be somewhat faster.

Avoid the inevitable until it is absolutely unavoidable!
Old 02-13-2002, 04:42 PM

I was just looking at the new mathews catalog and if you are comparing thier bows by speed you are really just nit picking. They all have basically the same speed. Except for the Ultra 2 and black max, which are a bit faster. Most of the other bows are between 230 and 235 fps AMO except for the Mq32 which is just under 230 fps. I am intrested in shooting the Icon to see what it's like. Before I buy I want to try and shoot the whole line up. I will buy the one that shoots the nicest for the money. I would much rather have a bow that shoots quieter and smoother than have one that isn't as nice and is only 5 or 10 fps faster. If you want sheer speed get a bowtech. If you want a bow that sits dead in your hand when you release an arrow, then get a mathews. Either way you will spend a crap load of money on a quality bow.

I will most likely get a mathews, I just don't know which one yet?

Paul
Old 02-14-2002, 11:18 AM

Paul in the real world you are probably right. The difference between the trajectory at 300 and 310 isn't all that much. I don't go by amo ratings since I don't shoot those speeds in competition, and they often seem less different than the IBO.

The thing about shooting 30" is that you get used to having the full listed speed, and to actually shooting 305 on an IBO rating, and 288 on an ASA. Basicaly we are going to be lucky to shoot 295 with this thing, and that might seem a lot if the other guy was getting 310. If I know the range I don't care if I am shooting 240.

Anyway I am interested in what they think this thing is for. It is very smooth, which would be nice for me. Does it draw to a hard wall, or is it like a round wheel compound.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:26 PM

By looking at the catalogue (mathews) it seems that the way the roller cable pulls the string forward toward the handle that when hunting with a thick coat on that the string would be in contact with the sleeve of your jacket.Thus making noise in the draw and eliminating the purpose of it. silence!!!!
Old 02-14-2002, 01:48 PM

newshooter, you shouldn't have a fear of it hitting your arm or anything else. the cables are pulled forward just enough to keep tension on them but they are still out of the way to keep them out of thepath of the arrow, etc.