Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Arrow selection confusion >

Arrow selection confusion

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow selection confusion

Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Spike

Default Arrow selection confusion

I'm learning at an unbelievable rate thanks to everyone on this forum. So now it's time to go back to the beginning and address my initial naivety. I started the season (and my hunting experience) with a 15 year old PSE that I got from an uncle. It was set up well, but, as I’d learn later, not for me. (I figured a setup was a setup.) Anyway, I bought some arrows at a local Dicks from a guy who may have known less than me – but I didn’t recognize that at the time. I got Easton Lightspeed 400’s with three inch fletching and two-blade Rage broadheads. At the time I didn’t even know that arrows needed to be customized for length, so I didn’t measure ahead of time. Turns out, the guy sold me some arrows anyway. I think his comment was, “You look to be about 6-2, you need 30.5” arrows.” Flash forward, I learn enough to know I need a new bow and buy one at auction at a Whitetails Unlimited fundraiser. I got a Bowtech SWAT originally setup with a 29” draw at 60 pounds. Perfect, exactly what I wanted and I got it a great price. (The weight might be a little light, but better than the other way around. And I won’t be Elk hunting any time soon.) So, I continue my learning and buy some tuning equipment at the recommendation of some of the great posts here. I spent 2 months working on getting my bow just right. Great groups, great balance, great paper tears. Everything is perfect. Except now I realize by arrows are likely all wrong. First, I know they’re way too long. At my current setup, I have a 29” draw and the measured weight is 58.5 pounds – probably a result of loosening the top limb slightly in order to achieve better draw balance. After hunting for the season with two kills and one lost liver shot, I know I want fixed blades going forward. Other than that, I’m looking for some advice. I’ve read a bunch of posts and other available article on spine, weight, etc., but am generally lost. Where do I start? With a shaft? With a broadhead? With functionality and predictability as the top priorities, what setup would you recommend? I greatly appreciate all the informed feedback I might receive.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a reliable shop nearby, they should help you build a good hunting arrow.

If not:

All of the major arrow manufacturers produce excellent quality shafts these days. If the bow is set-up for your draw length, then I would start with your arrow length. Draw your bow with one of your longer, older shafts and have someone (carefully) stand to the side and mark the shaft length. You want the shaft to be long enough to (at least) extend to the downrange side of the riser.

After you know correct shaft length, you can rely on the manf charts to select a shaft.

Or, post your:

bow model and make
draw weight
point/broadhead weight
draw length
shaft length

and someone should be able to put your stats in ArchersAdvantage or OT2 to compute/verify correct spine. In the end, it is better to be a tad stiff than weak on spine.

This is good initial reading too:
http://www.eastonarchery.com/pdf/tuning_guide.pdf