Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
What is the best way to determine proper arrow weight? >

What is the best way to determine proper arrow weight?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is the best way to determine proper arrow weight?

Old 12-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default What is the best way to determine proper arrow weight?

I am shooting at 72lbs at 29" and my arrows are cut to 28.25" my arrow weight at this time is 294gr. + 75gr. broadhead for a total of 370gr. / 72lbs = 5.13 grains per pound of peak weight my arrow flight is good but I don't want to shoot under weight, and cause damage to my bow. I was always told that peak weight x 5gr. was the way to pick arrow weight, is this correct should I shoot a heavier or lighter arrow? I do plan on moving up to 100gr. broadheads next year to gain a wider cut I shoot muzzys and the 100gr. are 3/16th of an inch wider than the 75gr.Anyone got any suggestions!

Last edited by wvnimrod; 12-10-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

I always try to stay just above 5gr per lb of draw weight but i like speed.Some people like to go heavier just a matter of opinion but never under 5grs per lb.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

To a point you can't get too heavy an arrow IMO but there is no stead fast rule except that in order to stay within warranty your arrows must weigh 5 grains per pound of draw weight.

For hunting purposes a heavy arrow is more desirable with few exceptions.
*A bow firing a heavy arrow is quieter which is less likely to cause a deer to "jump the string".
*A bow is more efficient at launching a heavy arrow so the heavy arrow starts out with more Ke and momentum than a light arrow and it maintains its speed over distance better than a light arrow. This all equals better penetration from the heavier arrow.
*A bow firing a heavy arrow is less likely to have a failure due to more of the bows stored energy being transferred to the arrow instead of being absorbed by the limbs and riser.
*A heavy arrow is less effected by crosswind (all other things being equal)

For example.......
Arrow A weighs 350 grains and leaves the bow at 300 fps. It will loose 22 fps and 10 foot pounds of Ke over 70 yards.

Arrow B weighs 500 grains and leaves the same bow at 260 fps. It will loose only 13 fps and only 7 foot pounds of KE over 70 yards.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
To a point you can't get too heavy an arrow IMO but there is no stead fast rule except that in order to stay within warranty your arrows must weigh 5 grains per pound of draw weight.

For hunting purposes a heavy arrow is more desirable with few exceptions.
*A bow firing a heavy arrow is quieter which is less likely to cause a deer to "jump the string".
*A bow is more efficient at launching a heavy arrow so the heavy arrow starts out with more Ke and momentum than a light arrow and it maintains its speed over distance better than a light arrow. This all equals better penetration from the heavier arrow.
*A bow firing a heavy arrow is less likely to have a failure due to more of the bows stored energy being transferred to the arrow instead of being absorbed by the limbs and riser.
*A heavy arrow is less effected by crosswind (all other things being equal)

For example.......
Arrow A weighs 350 grains and leaves the bow at 300 fps. It will loose 22 fps and 10 foot pounds of Ke over 70 yards.

Arrow B weighs 500 grains and leaves the same bow at 260 fps. It will loose only 13 fps and only 7 foot pounds of KE over 70 yards.
Very good advise right there!

All I will add is to consider the game your after. Deer sized and under a 350 grain arrow (i'm assuming 70# draw weight) will blow through them easily with nearly any broadhead and good shot placement.

Going for elk, moose or larger bear, go heavier. Say 400-500 grains. It will help with penetration on the larger, heavier boned animals.

Bigger then elk or dangerous game go 500+ grains or a .416 Rigby

Choosing arrow weight is more preference than science
Old 12-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a curve where you can absorb near maximum energy while still maintaining decent speed. You'd have to plot that out on a chart shooting different arrows through a chrono, or you could use a program like OnTarget2, and it will do it for you to some extent. For me, I'm shooting a 445gr arrow out of a 71# bow. That arrow is zipping out there around 286fps, not super fast, but it hits REALLY HARD in comparison to what a 350 arrow would.....

And I agree with most everything Bigbulls said, especially the energy absorbed by the arrow vs. the energy absorbed by the bow. I believe if you took an HONEST poll of guys who'd had a limb failure, you'd find that at least 75% of them were shooting LIGHTER arrows, less than 6gr/#, and some less than 5gr/#. Speed kills alright, but unfortunately, sometimes all it kills is your bow!!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the impute,I am not really concerned with speed I'd rather have a slow hit than a fast miss! And I think I'll try a heavier combo since you do loose less KE and less speed plus less effect by crosswind there fore maybe more accuracy and less bow wear. Thanks
Old 12-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

I have been shooting the Axis arrows and are 9.2 gr per-heavy. I shoot 70 lbs and slick trick 100 gr bh. The new bows are a lot faster and you can get lighter. My new rig, being built now, has one shooting at 51.7lbs 345fps with a 6gr per. He used the proto type on an Elk and got complete passthrough. I never not had a complete passthru even at a doe this year at 38 yds and hit the spine, thought it was further. Shot a buck at 12 yds thru the shoulder blade and thru the femur bone on the other side and stuck in the dirt. That is why I like the heavier shafts, but spine is just as important. With my new rig I will be shooting tapered shafts and they will be lighter, with more FOC.