Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Presses

Old 03-16-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Bow Presses

I went back through previous post and could not find the answer so if I missed it, I am sorry.

Anyway, I want to tinker on my bow a little more and don't want to deal with my local shop (don't think he quite knows what he is doing). What would be your suggestions for a bow press. I currently have a Matthews Swithback XT, but would like a press that I can use on other bows. Of course I don't want to spend a large amount, but I do fully believe in "you get what you pay for!"

Any help would be appriciated.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bow Presses

You're going to need to buy a press that will work with parallel-limbed bows nowadays.

I have a beautifulApple Hercules press with full floor stand I'll sell dirt cheap. Unless you buy some update modifications for it, it won't work with some completely parallel limbed bows.

Here's what I think is the best thing on the market at the moment and what I have on order.

http://lastchancearchery.com/EZ%201.html

But there may be some cheaper alternatives out there as well.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an apple super pro that works great.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the looks of that, BF... Gimp, I saw you on this thread, whaddya think about it for our Guardians and Commanders? Those limb-tip ends look like they'd accomplish what Len came up with for the Apples...
Old 03-16-2007, 07:12 PM

For fifty bucks build your own. I press my drenlin with this..........

Old 03-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

I'm sure building your own would work ok. But some of the new bows like the BT Guardianshould be pressed out at the limb tips. And if you work on a wide variety of bows, changing the press pocket and limb points can get to be a hassle.

I want something simple to use and easy to change around quickly. I had my eye on a Sure-Loc X-press the last year or two,but wasn't quite sold on it. I played with the Last Chance press for quite a while at Vegas. I was very impressed. It was better in person than I thought it would be. Also has a floor stand with a pivot option so you can tilt the bow upright. NICE. The owners mentioned that several of the bow manufacturers have purchased them for their own development shops. I haven't seen anything better, and it is such a simple idea.

I'm pissed I didn't think of it....[:@]
Old 03-17-2007, 05:07 AM
Typical Buck

This is really all you need. Not the fastest by any means, but a perfect comprimise between speed and price in my opinion - and you can take to camp too in case of emergencies. I'm not affiliated with these guys either, but I have owned one for 4 years.

http://www.prototechind.com/
Old 03-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure building your own would work ok. But some of the new bows like the BT Guardianshould be pressed out at the limb tips.
I almost typed the exact same thing yesterday...
Old 03-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mrfritz44
This is really all you need. Not the fastest by any means, but a perfect comprimise between speed and price in my opinion - and you can take to camp too in case of emergencies. I'm not affiliated with these guys either, but I have owned one for 4 years.
http://www.prototechind.com/
Ihave hadone of those for 4-5 years myself. It gets packed in all my hunting trips as the emergency press.

They work fine, but are not the easiest or quickest thing to use. It would be very tedious to install strings/cables and setup a bow (install peep, twist/untwist, timing,etc...)with the BowMaster press. But you can do it if you need to.

There's always a tradeoff between ease-of-use and price. Like anything, you pay for convenience and/or quality. I choose to spend more and have things quick and efficient use of time. Some others may be happy with going a much less expensive route but spending more time and effort doing the same job. That's all up to the individual.

It'll also depend on how often you need a press. Do you just work on YOUR bow once ina blue-moon? Or do you do lots of work on lots of bows? Constant tinkering? (like me [8D]) That might factor into your purchase as well.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

Up until about one year ago I tinkered with the bowa lot. You can change limbs, adjust the peep, etc... all the things you said with the Bowmaster.

I have to factor in cost since I'm poor with a lot of hobbies. I may have spent a total of two extra hours twisting the Bowmaster, but I paid $45 vs $400. $175/hour is a lot of convenienceto justify.

Like you said, it's all what you can afford.