Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw Length

Old 01-14-2006, 10:17 AM

Default Draw Length

[8D]What can I do to shorten the draw length on my new bow that hasn't already been done? For Xmas I received a NIB Buckmasters BTR package deal, the draw is suspost to be adjustable between 28 - 30 the bow draw weight between 55 - 70. As sent it was set to 29 draw and 72# weight. I took the bow to a local sports shop where I asked them to loosen the pull weight and shorten the draw to 28 which they did. But now that I'm actually using the bow I find that I still can't properly use the peep sight as its being drawn back too far at full draw! I either have shrunk in stature or I was never a 28" draw to begin with, so now what can I do?
Would a new bow string set of say 2 inches shorter (or longer) allow this bow to have a shorter draw length or am I out of luck?
Sorry for the long winded questain, but I'm stuck!

Old 01-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Draw Length

Rusty, without actually seeing what is going on it's really hard to give you advise.
#1 you can not put on a shorter string... It doesn't work that way.
#2 you can get another module for that bow, or a cam, I am not sure.
#3 more than likely when the draw length was shorted, the peep stayed in the same place, and wasn't readjusted, it may be that all you need is to move your peep to the proper place.
With your eyes closed draw your bow back to full draw. Open your eyes your string should be at the tip of your nose, and your eye should be looking out your peep. If this is not happening, then the peep is off, or your draw length is wrong.
A Good bow shop should have made sure the bow fit you. Most bow shops will not just change the length without making sure that's what you need.
If you can take a picture of you with the bow fully drawn and post it, someone will be able to help you.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

But now that I'm actually using the bow I find that I still can't properly use the peep sight as its being drawn back too far at full draw!
Sounds to me that the bow arrived already set up but not set up for you.

If the draw lenght now fits you after the shop adjusted it then all that needs to be done is the peep reset and for you to tune the bow.

Old 01-14-2006, 05:38 PM

Too many assumptions. I can assure you that that particular bow is NOT the draw length as specified. Most manufacturers do not publish correct draw lengths. I've seen as much as a +2 1/2" error.

Then you seem tohave madethe assumption that you're a 28" draw length. The question would arise, how did you measure your draw length? There are various ways and many of them are either erroneous or need modifications due to certain physical attributes.

You need a PRO Shop that can properly measure both you and the bow.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:22 PM

you can have your bow string twisted i did not like it when i did but thats a choice
Old 01-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

I have a high country carbon 4 runner (4-5 yrs old) It would only let me adjust draw length from 29" to 30". I ordered the next size cam for it, now it goes from 28" to 29". 28-1/2 is where I needed it.
I know some of the newer bows have a wider range of draw length.

Like mentioned above, maybe the peep sight wasn't adjusted after draw length was? What type of release do you use? Do you use a string loop?
I was able to shorten my string loop, that helped a little.

Just some of the things I ran into when I was messing with draw length.

Good luck!