Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Got to position the ears on my 2013 opening day buck this weekend! >

Got to position the ears on my 2013 opening day buck this weekend!

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Got to position the ears on my 2013 opening day buck this weekend!

Old 12-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
I probably get more negative feedback than good on it but thats OK I have plenty with more traditional ears

Years ago I rattled a big buck with in arms reach.

I was sitting at the end of a high grass waterway about 20 feet wide and 300 feet long Just banging and rattling away and he came right out of the grass in a very bad mood and about ran me over. It seemed like a 10 minute standoff but I'm sure it was only a few seconds. He stood there with his ears pinned just like that with steam rolling out of his nose as if he were processing whether to fight or flight and luckily he chose flight. I never touched or even thought about my gun that was leaning on the fence.

Once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget. Anyway that is where I got the idea. Unfortunately the buck in the picture is not in the same class as the one I didn't get but it still reminds me of the experience.
Helluva story!

I'm surprised you've gotten negative reaction on that. It looks to be a sneak/semi-sneak form, which is appropriate. I can't say I'd do it on an upright, but I can't say I wouldn't consider something similar on a full sneak form.

Either way, Who cares if they've got something negative to say. It's your deer, not theirs!
Old 12-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TSR6
Helluva story!

I'm surprised you've gotten negative reaction on that. It looks to be a sneak/semi-sneak form, which is appropriate. I can't say I'd do it on an upright, but I can't say I wouldn't consider something similar on a full sneak form.

Either way, Who cares if they've got something negative to say. It's your deer, not theirs!
Yeah I don't mind. I like honesty. I ask and they tell. I don't have people just walking in and telling me it looks horrible or anything like that.

It is a semi sneak.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport

It is a semi sneak.
I thought so... and like I mentioned, pinned back ears completely make sense with a sneak/semi-sneak form.

The semi-sneak has been my favorite form! I've done the semi-sneak, semi-sneak offset shoulder, and this one - my latest - is a semi-sneak, offset, lowered head.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very interesting guys! I sure had never heard of what you're talking about, but that's cool that you can have that kind of input into your own stuff. As soon as I saw those pinned back ears on Rockport's buck I figured there was some kind of story why because that is definitely the way they come in when they're pissed off, LOL!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Very interesting guys! I sure had never heard of what you're talking about, but that's cool that you can have that kind of input into your own stuff. As soon as I saw those pinned back ears on Rockport's buck I figured there was some kind of story why because that is definitely the way they come in when they're pissed off, LOL!!!
Next time you shoot one for the wall, ask your taxidermist! I'm sure they'll be willing - they're here to make you happy with your mount!

I drive ~50 minutes from my house (5 min from my hunting land) to visit him just to do the ears and leave!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rockport, they may say that they don't like it when they see it but once you tell the story I bet they like it a lot more! Personally, I wasn't a huge fan when I saw the picture but after the story its pretty neat.

I wouldn't mind positioning the ears on the bucks I shoot. Problem is living 2.5 hours from your taxidermist makes it a little tough.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fastetti
Rockport, they may say that they don't like it when they see it but once you tell the story I bet they like it a lot more! Personally, I wasn't a huge fan when I saw the picture but after the story its pretty neat.

I wouldn't mind positioning the ears on the bucks I shoot. Problem is living 2.5 hours from your taxidermist makes it a little tough.
I live an hour away from mine. It's an excuse to check my trail cameras and such, as I hunt nearby.