Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

22 Hornet

Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Spike

Default 22 Hornet

Is a 22 Hornet good for coyote or should use something bigger.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .22 Hornet is somewhat of a niche cartridge for a select group of predator callers. The .22H is just a touch behind a short barreled .223rem in energy, and it does quite well on coyotes out to about 200yrds for the discretionary shooter (pick your shots).

The .22H has really hit a resurgence in the last couple of years in line with the boom of new predator hunters jumping on the bandwagon, even pushing up a few new rifle actions specifically for this class of cases (Savage 25 Walking Varminter in .22H and .17H).

No, it's not a long range hammer. Yes, it is a fantastic "fur friendly" round. Mine is a Ruger 77/22H, really love this rifle. Would LOVE an excuse to get into a Savage 25 WV though.

The .22H is a GREAT choice for predator hunters that will have a lot of opporunities at bobcats and fox. It's on the borderline where it's enough for coyotes, but not too much yet for bobcats and fox. Larger capacity 22cf's can get messy on fox and bobcats (even the .223rem) and cost you a lot of money in ruined hides.

I look at it this way: If you have regular opportunities on bobcat and fox, it only takes about 3-5 bobcats NOT RUINED for a .22H rifle to pay for itself.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 22 Hornet is plenty of medicine on coyotes out to 200 yards, as mentioned above. I inherited a nice little Savage when my Dad died on 9/11/11 and I love that little cartridge
Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know much about them my grandad uses a 17hmr and puts it right behind the ear and squeezes it off. He hasn't lost one yet
Old 12-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Austinhuntman
I don't know much about them my grandad uses a 17hmr and puts it right behind the ear and squeezes it off. He hasn't lost one yet
This is a great method for shots at any range that you're able to shoot an acorn...
Old 12-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
This is a great method for shots at any range that you're able to shoot an acorn...
But only if you can hit the acorn 100 times out of 100 shots.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

22 Hornet kills yotes real well. Fur friendly low noise level and extremely accurate.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was considering buy a .22 Hornet also,as mentioned its easy on the hides/fur and is a nice low recoil Rifle to use!Right now I'm using a CZ model 527 .204 "Varmint" with the longer heavier barrel and it does a great job on Coyotes,it shoots flat and far and is easy on the large Predators such as Coyotes!This would also be a good Caliber (.204 Ruger)to consider.

Most of my shots on any Predator has been from 25 out to 125 yards at the most with only a few times where I have shot from 125-250 yards out!

If Your looking for a good Walking Predator Rifle the Savage is great,Ruger,Kimber or the CZ model 527 "American" which is lighter and easy to carry.The CZ's usually have their own type of rings and the "American" comes with free rings,it has a walnut stock,4 shell magazine and a trigger that can be pushed forward for a lighter pull!You can choose from several calibers on the CZ 527 Model also.