Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote numbers?

Old 01-31-2009, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Coyote numbers?

Hey guys, I huntstateland (roughly 2000 acres) that allows deer hunting ONLY! I've hunted it for around 7 years, and have only seen ONE coyote. That was about 2 weeks ago. I have never even gotten a trail cam pic of one in there during this time. Nobody that I've spoken to has eversee one. I see fox in there on almost everyhunt though.
My question is, if you had to take a wild quess, what would you think their numbers might be? There's plenty of small critters for them to catch in these woods, and they are protected.I just can't figure why I'm just now seeing my very first one after all the many hours I've spent hunting in there over the years? Is it just because it's their mating time?Here's a pic of him/herfrom video that I got.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Coyote numbers?

It's hard to say, how many may be there. Fox are not as elusive as a coyote, so there may just be as many

coyotes as fox. Coyotes also have a bigger range then a fox, a few thousand acres is not enough to contain

even one dog. Could be due to the breading time that you are seeing them now.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote numbers?

If you're seeing a lot of reds, then that tells me that there simply aren't a lot of coyotes, because the coyote will kill a red. Out in this part of the country, you won't see may reds out of the suburbs, they adapt to living around people much better than coyotes do. With that said, it's obvious that coyotes will live within city limits, BUT where there is a high concentration of coyotes, there will none or very few reds.

We have some kit fox that live out on the prairies with the coyotes, and the only thing that I can think that keeps them a live is thier ability to go down about any hole they can find to escape a coyote.