Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Best decoy...

Old 10-07-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Best decoy...

What is the best decoy out there for critters? I have read about the FoxPro Jack in the Box, the Mojo Critter, the Whirling Woodpecker, as well as making one of your own with a Decoy Heart, etc., but need some help from people who have actually used one with success.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:12 PM

Default RE: Best decoy...

The best decoy I have ever used for any predators is a live chicken.... its not a joke. I think its the smell, but I have shot coyotes and another one would jump over the dead one to get at the chicken. Stake him down and get ready to shoot - its the best decoy you will use.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

isnt that kind of inhumane? not trying to be a tree hugger, but useing live bait is illegal in many parts of the country.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yip Brod is correct in that the use of live animals as bait/decoys are illigal in most states. Check with your regs. before even thinking about doing it.

IMO, a decoy is the last piece of equipment that I would spend my money on for calling predators. Most coyote and bobcats, even to this day, are shot without the use of any decoy. A decoy won't fix bad stand selection, or sloppy approach of stands, won't hide human odor, etc. etc. Unless ya just gotta have one and the money is burning a whole in your pocket, spend your money on some new calls, or better optics, or gas to get out and back, or ammo.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:51 PM

+1 What Howler said.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:09 AM

the fox pro decoy is great i was given one by the company two years ago and have killed about 30 or so yotes using it.the nice thing about the decoy is that it helps keep the yote focoused on something elese and not you. if you dont want to spend alot of money on a decoy you can get a mojo style dove decoy from walmart for about 30 dollars oryou can even use a piece of fur or a rabbit hide i have used a lite colored rabbit hide alot and it works well just hang itso a lite breeze will be able to move it a little
Old 10-27-2007, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

If you want to try a decoy and not spend a lot of jingle, sportsmans guide has the whirling woodpecker on sale right now for$9.95.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Howler

Yip Brod is correct in that the use of live animals as bait/decoys are illigal in most states. Check with your regs. before even thinking about doing it.

IMO, a decoy is the last piece of equipment that I would spend my money on for calling predators. Most coyote and bobcats, even to this day, are shot without the use of any decoy. A decoy won't fix bad stand selection, or sloppy approach of stands, won't hide human odor, etc. etc. Unless ya just gotta have one and the money is burning a whole in your pocket, spend your money on some new calls, or better optics, or gas to get out and back, or ammo.
Yes but a decoy sometimes will cause the critter to focus and something other than the shooter, thus leaving more room for rifle adjustment or whatever.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:27 PM

Ive had pretty good luck usingan Owl decoy. The ones used to try to keep pigeons off building etc. We'd put that out in a small clearing, hunker down, and let the calling begin. Set up would look like the owl had swooped down and caught a mouse or something. The coyotes would thenbe curious and think they could rush the owl so it had to take flight and steal whatever the owl had caught.

Worked a number of times. Even if its enough to get their attention, or curiousity up just long enough to draw a bead on them. Simple and effective.