Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Places to hunt in IL >

Places to hunt in IL

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Places to hunt in IL

Old 02-13-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Places to hunt in IL

Guys, I am looking for a place to hunt in IL on a DIY hunt since I only have one point for Iowa.
I hunted Shawnee near Galconda 3 years ago and saw lots of does and little bucks and over all wasn'tthat impressed.

I am wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for a chance to have a quality hunt and maybe see a buck that would make my jaw drop a little. Maybe I will give Shawnee another chance the sign was there just didn't see the big boys. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Places to hunt in IL

MichiganBirdMan, there's a way better public area for you to hunt. It's called Clinton Lake, in Dewitt county. They have strict requirements and they have a lottery each morning, but you'll never be able to hunt deer of this calibur without having to pay through the nose.... I'm not sure about this, contact clinton lake and they can tell you more...... I think you have to pass a competancy course with your bow, which shouldn't be a problem for a die-hard. Then if you are selected in the lottery, you must shoot a doe before you can harvest a buck, and the buck must have a spread wider than 18"(width of ears) and/or at least for points on one side. It has been stated, that 80% of bucks taken from this area make P&Y book. If you shoot a button while going for doe, your done... Awesome place to hunt, lots of people try to hunt there, you can forget about the weekends, your best chance isjust before rut, during the week!!!! Hope this helped......
Old 02-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

I've never hunted public ground, but Silom Springs is located in the Golden Triangle (Pike, Adams, Brown) and I guarantee you that's gonna give you the best chance at a jaw dropper. You'd need to check into the requirements to be sure you can hunt there, but if you can, it would be worth making the trip down.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:32 PM

I can put you in contact with a private farmer I have known for over 19yrs, he will only charge about 140.00/day? Pike county, and trust me their is plenty of big boys running around.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

MIBirdman, sent a PM .. Walt
Old 02-16-2007, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Don't forget the Shawnee National Forest! Thousands of acres.

Good luck-
Old 02-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Spike

you may try "Jubilee State Park"in Peoria county. I know guys that have shot some nice bucks there last year.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

we have lots of ground around southern il,crab orchord,rend lake,or pyramid state park,to name a few,i hunt all of them,let me know if i can help.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Typical Buck

If you willing to drive to Ogle county I have a few public spots I would
be willing to show you. either the first two weeks of the season or the first two weeks of november would be the best times. PM for more details.

Quick Reply: Places to hunt in IL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.