Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scent Control Question

Old 09-20-2016, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use the wind. There's no way to cheat. From the chemistry side, none of it really works - except for the wind.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:21 AM
Spike

1. Zinc will help REDUCE your body odor
2. Bathe using scent free soap ggod old ivory is fine
3 Stay up wind

3 is really effective
Old 09-27-2016, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK question as I may have my terminology backwards today, been off lately in these things. If you are upwind, wouldn't that means the deer are traveling downwind of you, meaning they will smell you? When describing position to deer I always used that you wanted to be downwind and the deer upwind as their scent is blowing to you, not the opposite.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
OK question as I may have my terminology backwards today, been off lately in these things. If you are upwind, wouldn't that means the deer are traveling downwind of you, meaning they will smell you? When describing position to deer I always used that you wanted to be downwind and the deer upwind as their scent is blowing to you, not the opposite.

My mistake as well.......................You are 100% correct !

The hunter always wants to be down wind of the animals you are hunting.

Wind in your face !!!
Old 09-28-2016, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
My mistake as well.......................You are 100% correct !

The hunter always wants to be down wind of the animals you are hunting.

Wind in your face !!!
Wasn't sure if I was misreading or not. I understand if can be described in two different ways. 1. To position your self facing upwind, or 2. position yourself downwind of deer traffic. Either way it describes working with the wind in your favor but thinking the terms where backwards. No biggie, would hate to see a follow up thread about playing the wind wasn't working for someone.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Use the wind. There's no way to cheat. From the chemistry side, none of it really works - except for the wind.
I still believe in scent reduction.

Not as far as I think I'm going to kill a mature buck downwind but in the case that it might make the difference between a mature buck that is 100 yards downwind smelling me or not and maybe I kill him next week because I didn't spook him this week. Same goes for a mature buck coming through an hour after I'm gone. Maybe I can make the difference between him knowing Ive been there and not.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

I bet not many will think this works.
I hang my hunting clothes in the smoke of a ceder fire.A good smokey fire till they have the smoke in them real good.
Sure the deer can smell it but they don't seem to mind it to much. Any scent that is not human scent helps.
I came across this by accident when bow hunting a long time ago.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridgerunner56
I bet not many will think this works.
I hang my hunting clothes in the smoke of a ceder fire.A good smokey fire till they have the smoke in them real good.
Sure the deer can smell it but they don't seem to mind it to much. Any scent that is not human scent helps.
I came across this by accident when bow hunting a long time ago.
That might actually work well in my area, the ranges on base near where I hunt carch fire all the time. They also do alot of controlled burning all over base for fire prevention so the smell is in alot of areas most years