Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Berger VLD Hunting.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:05 PM
Spike

Default Berger VLD Hunting.

I like the idea of using a round that fragments and dumps it's energy into the game. My main question is after watching videos on you tube and seing shoulder bones with softball sised holes in them is everyone that's shooting these bullets getting exit holes like this and more importantly how does it work on big game
Thanks
Old 08-28-2015, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

bergers are designed to penetrate 2" then rapidly expand, and they do work well and shoot so well its scary, I tried the vld hunting in a custom long range rifle, its fast twist and cut rifled barrel were too hard on the bullets causing complete expansion before penetration, a change to the match bullets with a thicker jacket gave me awesome results, at 700 yards they just take a dirt nap, if I hit bone they do not exit, on a lung shot they will exit 2 out of 3. these results are with a rifle that is non standard on the twist and a broach rifled barrel, if you shoot a standard twist and have button rifleing you will do well with the hunting vld (orange box)
RR
Old 08-28-2015, 07:41 PM
Spike

Thanks a couple of you tube videos made me a little nervous about meat damage but I'm definitely gonna see how well they shoot in my rifle
Old 08-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't explain it very well, the orange box bullets are designed for hunting, the yellow box are for target, my rifle is fast twist (1-8) and cut rifled so the rifling has sharper edges and its deeper than standard button rifling. I tried the hunting bullets but the cut or broached rifling scored the jackets too deep causing violent expansion as the bullet hit hair. this is the performance I got with them

lots of damage but its no deeper than an inch or so. It killed them but after 3 long tracking jobs I contacted Brian Litz, head ballistician at berger, he's an aerospace engineer who is also a redneck gun nut, he recommended the match bullets
I switched to the thicker jacketed match bullets, and the performance of those in my rifle, mirrors the performance folks get from standard twist button rifled barrels using the hunting bullets. here is how both bullets will shoot in my full house custom 6.5 gibbs, this group was fired at a lasered range of 752 yards

RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 08-29-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:38 PM
Spike

Dang that's accuracy