Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger Super  Redhawk >

Ruger Super Redhawk

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Super Redhawk

Old 05-07-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Ruger Super Redhawk

Guys,
I have the opportunity to purchase a used Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger for 475.00. It looks like a great gun but I'm totally unfamiliar with the caliber. Anyone with experience with this caliber for deer hunting? Any information/comments appreciated. I have a feeling he's selling because of problems with the recoil. I'm not concerned about the recoil but wonder why this cartridge never seemed to catch on.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ruger Super Redhawk

Swampman, I can't really speak from experience about the Ruger .480.
From what I've seen from ballistics charts, the .480 should be a good hunting caliber. My guess as to why it has not caught on is that it is suffering the same fate as the great .41 magnum! There is probably not enough room for the .480 between the .44's and .454's, for it to gain a following. So, unless you are a reloader, finding ammo could be a problem!
The RSRH is a great gun, but if the price you quoted is for the gun only, you may not be missing a great bargain by passing on this one! I hope this is of some help to you, good luck!
Old 05-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 480 Ruger is a good hunting cartridge.I've never fired one . The recoil is manageable so I've heard.What I don't like about it,you are limited in factory loads.Reloading gives you more options.In the 480 that's the only cartridge you can shoot. In the 44mag you can shoot the 44 spl. The 454 Casull you can shoot the 45 Colt.475.00 isn't a bad price but it's not the best either.Ruger's MSRP is over 800.00. Check www.gunsamerica.com and you can find new ones for not to much more.I have the new Alaskan on order. I thought about the 480 in that.For reasons I mentioned I decided to get another 454 Casull.I might suggest if you do decide to buy this 480. If he has the scope rings on it. Pull them off. Look that they were installed properly and didn't damage the scope ring cutouts.I had a SRH that had a defective frame. The rings damaged the cutouts. Ruger fixed it once. It did the samething. Ruger finally agreed there was a problem with the frame and replaced the gun.If it were me I would pass on the 480 and get either a SRH in 44 mag or the mighty Casull.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-08-2005, 06:56 AM

Ruger-Redhawk,
I was afraid of exactly what you mentioned. On paper, the ballistics look great. It should be a wonderful deer hunting cartridge. On looking further, there is only one factory offering I can find. The fact that this catridge is consistently passed over for 454 Casull is also a little disturbing. The gun handles wonderfully but I think I'm going to pass on this one and get the Casull. Thanks everyone for all the good advice as usual.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Swampman, I think you're making a smart move.I really like my SRH in 454 Casull.It's a pleasure to shoot.The only thing I would do differently is get the 7.5"bbl. I had a 7.5" that the rings damaged the frame rail(cutouts). When Ruger agreed to swap it out.I asked if they would give me the 9.5" instead.That's what I got.It's shoots good. Just to heavy to tote around. Feels like it takes forever getting it out of the holster.A friend who works for Ruger told me that they get allot of complaints.People don't install the rings properly.he sent me instuctions the proper and easy way to install them.If installed correctly they are a great system.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here are the instructions. Howard sent me this a couple years back.If you take your time it's easy.If you rush it you're asking for trouble,Mine did have a defective frame that's why it was exchanged.

Ruger Redhawk

I talked to my friends in customer service today. They said the problem with the Redhawk and SRH is that the rings are not installed properly. This is a common problem since Ruger does not explain how to do it in the instructions and not many people know how to do it .They are a pain in the BUTT. When you put Ruger rings on anything they must be tightened slowly and with a back and forth motion with the screwdriver slowly . You should hold your finger on the opposite side of the ring so you can feel the end of the bolt as it seats itself in the base of the ring. If you take the bolt out of a Ruger ring you will see the curved shape, it must be seated slowly into the base of the ring with the back and forth motion so it does not make those ugly marks on the mounting rail. They get a lot of complaints about that, I'm surprised they do not make a bold note of it in the manuals. Probably most people would not look at it anyway !! I have messed up a couple times trying to mount Ruger rings to quickly
Old 05-08-2005, 03:27 PM

Ruger Redhawk,
Thanks so much for the advice and the ring installation instructions. I'll let you know how the pistol turns out. I'm kind of stoked about getting one now. Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're welcome Swampman.Sounds to me the SRH bug has biten into you.There is only one cure for it.Recoil of the Casull isn't bad at all in these big framed guns.I've only fired Winchester 250 gr HP's.They say the 300 gr has quite a bit more recoil.In that hand held cannon I'm sure it's nothing that can't be handled.
Like Howard said the instructions go fo any of the Ruger guns using the Integral scope rings.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-08-2005, 04:43 PM

RUGER REDHAWK,
I've always had a Redhawk bug. Been using a 44 mag for years. I had one Super Redhawk previously. Back in 1984 I bought a Super Redhawk chambered in 357 Maximum. Boy , do I wish I still has that pistol. I don't think I'd feel comfortable hunting with anything else(pistol-wise) Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWAMPMAN

RUGER REDHAWK,
I've always had a Redhawk bug. Been using a 44 mag for years. I had one Super Redhawk previously. Back in 1984 I bought a Super Redhawk chambered in 357 Maximum. Boy , do I wish I still has that pistol. I don't think I'd feel comfortable hunting with anything else(pistol-wise) Thanks again for all the help.
No offense. I think you're getting your guns mixed up.The 357 Maximum was only chambered in the Blackhawk.Ruger did make a Redhawk in 357 magnum which was discontinued some years back.Both the Blackhawks in 357 Max and the Redhawks in 357 mag are bringing premium prices.When the 357 Max came out I could have bought a couple of them.I decided I could get one later on. It wasn't long after that Ruger discontinued them due to Errosion issues.I'm still kicking myself.

I like the Redhawk in 44mag. In fact that's what I carry during hunting season.I have the scoped model but use it with the opened sights.

Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: Ruger Super Redhawk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.