Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gun case

Old 02-28-2004, 09:18 AM

Default gun case

i have a mossberg 835 w/ a turkey barrel adn a rifled slug barrel and i'm trying to find a gun case which will hold the gun(which is scoped) and teh extra barrel. any suggestions?

marinestud
Old 02-28-2004, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gun case

You weren't really specific, i.e. do you want hard plastic, aluminum, soft padded, do you need it to be airline approved, just durable enough to protect your gun in the truck, do you need one that's waterproof, do you need one that's reinforced so you could drop it off a building without squishing in on your gun? Do you want one to do the job, or do you want one that does the job in style? If it's a hard case, do you want one with casters, or just with handles? Are you looking for a high class one that'd be kind of like a break down shotgun case, i.e. a box case with a compartment for the gun and one for the bbl?

As far as what I'd do if I just needed a case for that set up (picking what would suit my life and preferences, not necessarily yours), I'd go to the nearest gunshop, or even walmart and, depending on what $$ you want to spend or your preference, get a double rifle case in hard plastic or aluminum...most double rifle cases will hold at least a scoped rifle and a non-glassed one with ease, some get pretty tight on two glassed rifles, but most will fit them both in, some are specially made with two glassed rifles in mind-extra wide, you can usually fit two glassed sporters with extra high rings and 50mm objectives with room to spare. Hard plastic cases are a toss up, sometimes they're tough enough that they'll never squish in far enough to hurt anything, and never get so bowed out that they lose grip on your guns, some are so flimsy that putting a gun in them bows the walls out so much that the foam cells can't grip it and they slide all over inside, knocking into eachother, aluminum cases are usually better about that, but they're more costly too.

For exactly what I'd do, I'd buy an aluminum double rifle case, and a gun sock (or a bbl sock if you can find one anymore, or maybe a thinly padded gun sock), then I'd put the gun in the case, and put the bbl in the case in the sock. Cases don't usually like to hang on to bbls by themselves, they'll shift around in there a lot more easily than a full gun will, putting the sock on it: thickens it and puts a better texture on it, so the case's padding can grip it better, and it pads it a little so that if it does shift and bump your gun, it may not scratch it-at least a better chance of not scratching than without a sock (someone used to sell lightly padded versions, they were like 3mm thick of pretty dense material, great for this use, I've not seen one in a while).
Old 02-28-2004, 09:38 PM

I agree with Nomercy. I have a Koplin hard plastic case that is a double rifle case. It'll hold both my .22's (with scopes). It happens that it was supposed to come with a soft case (or maybe 2 I don't know for sure), but it didn't have one so I got a deal on it. I guess the idea was like Nomercy said, just in case they do slip they have a little extra protection. Anyway, that is likely what I would do with it.

I'm also thinking of the take-down shotgun cases(like for over-unders that have a compartment for the reciever and one for the barrels) I know it wouldn't work for your gun, but something like that would be excellent if you could make it, or have one made. Of course that would be a matter of time/money.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

SKB Cases work well for me. Good luck.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]