Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
22lr replacement fun shooting. >

22lr replacement fun shooting.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22lr replacement fun shooting.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

The last couple times I went squirrel hunting I took my .17 HMR and it was almost unfair. The rifle is so accurate that any squirrel I could see ended up in my bag. It got to the point that I would only take head shots too. I took several around the 75 yard mark with that little Savage 93. That 20 gr Vmax bullet also does a number on a turkey's head.
But back to the post. I always wanted a .22 Hornet. I am constantly on the lookout at the used gun racks but I just can't seem to find one.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
The 22 hornet using hand loads from 1300FPS to 3000 FPS. is a handy little round in a rifle...
Originally Posted by Big Uncle
You must be getting pretty good accuracy with your reduced load Hornet, at least for the ranges that you would normally take a squirrel...
I'll second that - it's surprising that your accuracy didn't come apart slowing things down that much. What's your twist rate? Must be pretty quick if it'll stabilize well at 1300-3000, that's pretty exciting.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

My little Hornet is a 77-22 with a 14 twist. I have to push a 45 grain pill close to max to get the best group and have yet to find a load for a 50 grain that works well in mine, but I have not tried to slow it down as much as our friendly beekeeper does. It would be great to find a super mild 50 grain load. I wonder about the crimp on such a light load.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I also have a Ruger 77 22 hornet 20 inch barrel blued with walnut stock.

Mounted a 1960's some Bushnell banner with BDC 3x9 on it . I sighted in at 100 yards and with a turn of the turret I can turn it up to dead on at 400 yards in theory. I have only tried it to 150 yards and it works perfect.

I use one of the following loads, for "light-loading" a .22 Hornet:

1. 7.0 grs. / 50 gr. "High Velocity" type bullet / SR-4759. On this load your rifle should have a 1-in-14" twist,

2. 4.0 grs. / Unique / 40- 45 grain bullet. When using this load, I place a pea size piece of cotton to hold the powder against the primer. This load shoots well in 1-in-14" or 16" twist rates and velocity is around what a .22 LR produces.

There was a article some time ago in handloader mag about down loading the hornet and the 223.

Al