Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Building a big game rifle for my wife >

Building a big game rifle for my wife

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Building a big game rifle for my wife

Old 12-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Spike

Default Building a big game rifle for my wife

Looking to build a rifle for my wife for next years hunting season here in Colorado. Game we will be pursuing- Elk (priority), Antelope, Mulies, and possibly black bear.

I hunt with a remington 700 long range in 30-06. It weighs about 13 pounds. I'm young, I don't mind carrying a heavy rifle through the mountains. Even this with a good pad has too much felt recoil for my wife though.

Ideally for her the rifle will be around the 10lb mark, not much heavier or lighter. Semi-auto to help with recoil, and either 308 or 30-06. Maybe a brake. I reload 30-06 so that would be nice. I'm also contemplating 458 socom since I have a nice AR already. Looking for an effective range out to 300 yards or so.

My short list, some for coolness of owning the rifle:

Browning BAR Mark II safari 30-06 (hunting rifle, maybe LOP too long?)
SCAR 17 (solid all around, adjustable stock, expensive)
M1A (bad choice for optics)
AR style in 308 (heavy)
RRA 458 socom upper

I have a buddy with a couple scar's (16 and 17) that I'm going to borrow for her to shoot.

What other rifles am I missing? opinions?
Old 12-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

13lbs to "carry around the mountains" - better you than me.

10lbs for a women - not to sound sexist (LOL) still to heavy for me.

I would look more for a light weight rifle to "hunt the mountains", unless most of the "carrying" is done by horse.

More like this for me.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rif...rkv/ultralight

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-17-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
13lbs to "carry around the mountains" - better you than me.

10lbs for a women - not to sound sexist (LOL) still to heavy for me.

I would look more for a light weight rifle to "hunt the mountains", unless most of the "carrying" is done by horse.

More like this for me.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rif...rkv/ultralight
lightweight = more recoil. We are both in good shape. Last season I hiked about 25 miles without issue over 4 days. Next year we'll be in better shape and have llamas. I guess if I decide to put a brake on it weight won't matter as much, I'm worried she'll be put off by how loud it is then though. Her LOP is also 12.5"

Last edited by Streetdoctor; 12-17-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Benelli R1 if you're stuck on a semi auto.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife uses a lightweight 270 Mountain Rifle for elk. She is a fairly small woman but has good form so the recoil does not bother her. She uses a bit of extra padding when she shoots from a benchrest but recoil from field positions is hardly noticeable. She has taken elk cleanly with her little 270.

As you have very recently taken up handloading you can put together cartridges for her rifle for practice that will have reduced recoil. Just sight the rifle in with full power loads before season for shooting at game.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would get a Rem 700 mountain rifle, .270, .280, or .308 would be fine for what you are talking about. Don't need a brake, its not heavy, very manageable recoil, and still plenty of gun especially if you handload a nice round for it.

I have one in .280, and if I was ever to go Elk hunting, that is what I would take.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

I would go for one of the Thompson/Center Venture Weathershield or Predator. Very reasonable price for what looks like a high quality rifle.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

458 would have a lot of drop at 300, you may contact mike milli at dedicated technologies, he builds AR's in a 358 wssm, possibly others like a 30 cal based on the wssm case it will work on your AR-15 lower. my mike milli built 25 wssm AR weighs around 10# with a 22" fluted stainless ultra match barrel.
RR
Old 12-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

7mm08 is the first cartridge that's comes to mind. If it was me I wouldn't be looking to "go heavy" to reduce recoil. I'd look at a lighter recoiling cartridge capable of doing the job. With a 12.5" LOP a couple of "factory" rifles come to mind. Ruger Compact,Tikka compact.Savage Lady Hunter (no sure on the LOP) Winchester Model 70 compact (LOP is 13") I think all rifles mentioned come in 7-08, and depend on which scope you pick should come in betwwen #7 1/2-#8. I know you said "build" but just a different option.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my wife's favorites is a Ruger Compact in .308. It's a might snappy and loud... but it kills things dead and is delightful for her to carry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.