Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Smith & Wesson M&P 15 >

Smith & Wesson M&P 15

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Smith & Wesson M&P 15

Old 04-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Smith & Wesson M&P 15

I was in a gun store today and was handling a S&W M&P15 - AR clone in .223 with the shorty barrel and 6 position stock. It seemed like pretty nice AR to me - my question was, has anyone out there shot one of these? If so, how did it shoot, function, handle?? Any opinions on how it compares to the other AR's out there?
Old 05-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Spike

I’ve got one that I bought back in FEB that I bought as a trainer for my AR15. It really is a neat little rifle and has proven to be pretty reliable for about 1500 rounds so far. I’ve set it up like my Colt 6920 with a red dot, VFG, and a light on the forearm. It’s still a little lighter than my AR.

My boy (6) loves shooting bowling pins with it on our range. He rests the VFG on my shooting bench and goes to town on them.

I’ve also got a Spikes Tactical conversion unit for my6920. The S&W is more accurate, most likely to it having the proper twist rate. The S&W also functions closer to a true AR in that the bolt hold open/release works, whereas most conversion units or conversion unit based uppers do not.

Chuck
Old 05-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Spike

oldsmellhound

My apologies, for some reason when I saw your post my mind said S&W MP15-22!

I shoot IDPA with a couple guys that own MP 15s and I’ve seen a few run in a couple carbine classes I’ve taken. As a matter of fact one of our local instructors that teaches LE classes uses one. I’ve yet to see one have an issue.

As RR said, they’re basically a parts gun, as most are, but I do think S&W takes the time to put theirs together right. They’ve also got a pretty good service dept should something go wrong.

Chuck