logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns

Guns Like firearms themselves, there"ôs a wide variety of opinions on what"ôs the best gun.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
Spike

Dear Tom,

I sent you an email earlier.

I have a 3" magnum Remington 1100, semi-automatic and I can change with your Shotgun which has 2-3/4 inch magnum.
Both shotguns are the same except for the magazine and magnum.

Let's talk.

My shot gun is very good condition and I have not problem with it

Thank you.

Abdul

Last edited by Abdul Rahman; 12-20-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Abdul Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
Spike

Smile Remington 1100 Shotgun, 3" inch Magnum

Dear Tom,

I am sorry I have trouble sending this email.

Let's talk about your Shotgun and my Shotgun.

Your shotgun has 2-3/4 magnum and magazine and my shotgun has 3" magnum and magazine.

Let's talk.

Thank you.

Abdul
Abdul Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
Fork Horn

Not to ruin a possible deal but............

a 3" magnum 1100 only needs a barrel swap to make it a 2 3/4" shooter.

Remington yrs ago used to advertise such interchangeability.

Of course a new 2 3/4" bbl is pricey (they all are).

You can shoot 2 3/4" in your 3" chamber bbl, but it will have a single gas port instead of two, so you'll need shells that are loaded a little hotter- like Winchester AA Handicap, Superhandicap or Sporting Clays (or comparable).

The really light load stuff might not cycle, like cheap promo shells with only 1 oz of shot.

You can shoot the warmer loads and have it function fine (done it on my 1100 magnums), but you must run the mag tube without hardly a trace of oil on the outside. it'll gum up quickly, even in hot weather, if you have it too oily.

Best bet is to clean/degrease it and then shoot it with some thin Remoil, paper towel that off (there will be a slight remnant amount to protect the metal). Doing that you should be able to run 2 3/4" shells even in the cold (like rabbit hunting).

According to the Rem society 1100 guru, the carrier and barrels are the only diff between a magnum and non magnum 1100. Magnums run single gas port barrels and a heavier carrier.
hookeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #14
Fork Horn

The 2 3/4" guns will eject 3" shells fine (hence the Remington marketing of "steel shot barrels" with instructions on what loads based on what receiver). It's not about the ejection port, or bolt/buffer..........according to the Remington society 1100 guru.

If running 3" lead on a non magnum gun the bolt will slam the receiver. That, according to him, was due to the carrier being lighter. The magnum guns have a heavier carrier to decelerate.

Just a note on new barrels. I bought one a couple of yrs ago. Bluing great, choke tube concentric, a nice barrel. Shot fine. On the package it said "this barrel DESIGNED by Remington". It didn't say "MADE BY Remington".

Maybe Hastings or somebody made it, whoever it was they did a great job.

However, the new rib anti glare pattern did NOT match the antiglare pattern of the receiver, and that annoyed the crap out of me. Also, I ordered a 26" steel shot bbl and it was too short for doves (running AA Sporting clays 2 3/4" 7.5's ). I like a little longer bbl (used to run a fixed 30" full magnum).

So I sold that 1100 magnum, and then wandered into a 28" steel shot Remington made (antiglare pattern match) Remchoke bbl super cheap.

It figures.

Looking for a deal on a 1100 magnum since.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #15
Fork Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by homers brother View Post
Your 1100must have the magnum reciever to safely use 3" shotshells. 870s used to be marked with an "M" as part of the serial number if they were "magnum" receivers, not sure if that practice is still current or if itcarried over to the 1100, but it's likely that it did.

If the barrel that's on the shotgun is it's original barrel, chances are it is NOT a magnum receiver and should NOT be used with 3" shotshells.

As has been stated previously, there's still a lot of hunting one can do with a 2-3/4" chamber. The onlyspecies I've used 3" foris goose, preferring 2-3/4" for everything else (including turkey).
He can run 3" STEEL shells if running a 3" bbl on a non magnum receiver. No lead though.
1100 Magnums also used an "M" at the end of the serial number, however a Remington expert says that a few Magnum 1100's from way back might not have had the "M". Even without the "M" those guns were marked with the word "Magnum" somewhere.

Thought I might get a reg 1100 (if I score one super cheap) and buy a Magnum carrier and convert one. I'd have a gunsmith/manufacturer bud mark it Magnum though afterward, just a "one off" custom deal. probably Gunkote it.

Depends on what I come across.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #16
Nontypical Buck

Stay away from the 3" shot shells. The 2 3/4" is plenty for anything you'll likely to hunt. The main advantage in the 3" or 3 1/2" shot shell is not so much the muzzle velocity of the shot load but rather the total number of shot in the pattern. And that does help for sure on bigger stuff like geese and turkey. As far as using as a "slug" gun. I'd spend my $$$ on a rifled barrel and go that route. With all of these quality sabot type rounds out there now, you can kill deer sized game cleanly out to 125-150 yards.
Mojotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
Fork Horn

3" magnum Bismuth #2's are good on geese

In my oher posts I called the part difference on magnum 1100 vs standard a "carrier". I guess the proper term is "sleeve" (IIRC).

It's the cylinder of steel that rides over the mag tube, action bars go back from it to bolt. Since that assembly carries the bolt I called it a "carrier". My bad.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #18
Nontypical Buck

I have an 1100 in 2 3/4" that I bought in 1974. Unless it is a 3" action, it wouldn't do you any good to put a 3" bbl on it. You might want to replace the barrel anyway. As I remember, there was a recall on the barrels back in the 80's. I didn't send mine in, but bought a new barrell in the late 90's for it because I wanted a Rem choke.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #19
Fork Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZLYMAN View Post
I have an 1100 in 2 3/4" that I bought in 1974. Unless it is a 3" action, it wouldn't do you any good to put a 3" bbl on it. You might want to replace the barrel anyway. As I remember, there was a recall on the barrels back in the 80's. I didn't send mine in, but bought a new barrell in the late 90's for it because I wanted a Rem choke.
Remington sells 3" "steel shot" barrels for use on non magnum receivers, they say though that on non magnums to only use steel shot loads.

If he's after ducks it might do him some good to go 3". Geese out to 50 yards with bimsuth #2 3"- works great.

Works way better than 3.5" steel BBB (convential pellet- never tried any with cutters).