Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Benelli M2

Old 03-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Benelli M2

Ok I was shooting one this past weekend actually a M1(H&K import) and this thing was probably one of the sweetest autos I have shot and there have been a lot of them in my hands. FUnctionality over an Gold not sure or if it is better mechanically but it sure points better. I went to my dealer and he had one on closeout and I will probably end up bringing it home soon if not this weekend. Any thoughts on these guns? It is the basic synthetic model..I actually prefer the feel over the montefeltro.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Benelli M2

I bought an M2synthetic last month but did not get a chance to use it. I am surprised you saw one on clearance. In our area these are ahot item anda little hard to get a hold of right now. What are they asking for it?

It does feel really good to hold. Should get a chance to use itfor some trap shooting in the near future.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

999 is the price on it most are in the 1099 range
Old 03-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

love my sbe II. Dad's M1 has held up for many thousands of shells so far. My sister just picked up an identical M1 to my dads for $700 at a gun show. If it had been fired other that the test shots, I couldn't tell. In box, but only 3 choke tubes.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

999 is the price on it most are in the 1099 range
Thats the 2007 price. Benellis went up just like everything else for 2008. You can expect to pay around 1150 or better for them now. 999 is a steal.... not to be a narc or anything but at 2008 prices if your buddy at the gun shop has electricty, insurance and more than two employees he is probably taking a loss.

I'm a die hard 870 man, but I shot an M2 last year, and I'm buying one myself this summer. I shot the SBE II the fall they were developing them... took the son of a friend who has a few connections and he let me shoot the thing... I like it, I shot it well... I like the M2 three times more. Points so much better for me.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Benelli autos get some bad press from some writers, but I have found that they work and really do not kick anywhere near as much. So, if it feels right and you got the cash, go fer it and tell us all about it!!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya on the pointing better than the Gold.

I actually have an M1 Super 90, an M2, and a 20 gauge Montefeltro right now.

I did have a Gold, but for the life of me, could not keep it working in cold weather, it'd stove pipe half the time, and the other half wouldn't close the bolt on the new shell.

The M2 is a pretty solid gun. I've had mine since its introduction, I actually got the 2nd one in at the local gunshop. Since I've had it, I've cleaned it once, the day I brought it home, and its ran everything I've thrown in it without a glitch.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

The M2 is a very good all round model that is well made, reliable, and easy to clean. As far as pointability, that's purely subjective and every one will have different thoughts on what model points better. The M2 is a lighter model that has a stock heavy balance point. These are a few attributes that make a gun point quickly. On the other hand some dislike models like this as they favor a slower pointing model that swings smoother. The Browning Gold SL, Fusion, or Elvolve all have there balance point moved towards the stock and are even lighter than the M2. They too are quicker pointing guns. The Benelli Montefeltro is even lighter and thinner than the M2 which makes it even quicker pointing than the M2 but not as smooth.

The M2 also can go long periods without cleaning. They still get powder built up in their actions, trigger groups, and recoil assemblies. The M2 is not the best model for cycling lighter loads but is fine with the faster 1oz loads. They also have a rotary bolt face which makes them on the longer side for semi auto's. They have the ComforTech stock which does nothing to reduce recoil unless you have issues with face slap which the soft comb could help. It can also be removed and have a different height installed. Like most current semi auto's the M2 has shims to adjust the stock for a better fit. This will help to reduce felt recoil and they can change the POI.