Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer >

25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer

Old 03-10-2008, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

"It's not a deer dropper now"
There is NO cartridge on earth that can be fired from the shoulder that will drop a deer, or any other game animal, with one shot EVERY TIME. In this regard, the .250 Savage and the .257 Roberts both have been considered very good deer cartridges for almost 100 years now. The .25/'06 is even better. I had one, a Ruger No. 1V. Using handloaded ammo with the Sierra 117-grain bullet at a MV of over 3000 FPS, it dropped deer as fast as any cartridge I have yet used. I sold that rifle, but I really like the .25/'06 (and the .270 Win., as well!). The .25/'06 is one of thegreat cartridges!

My 243 always drops 'em dead in there tracks, and my 7mm Rem Mag (rifle of choice), really knocks 'em dead.
Now does it stand to reason that a rifle firing a bigger bullet at a higher velocity (.25/'06 vs .243 Win.) is going to be less effective on game than the smaller, slower one? Give me a break! You cannot judge the relative merit of a cartridge by what happens in a couple of instances! Such results are "not statistically significant"........ shot placement is still THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR.
The shot placement is the same. I've shot probably close to 50 some odd deer with my 243, and only 1 ever took its last step, I think he managed to go about 10 feet maybe. I shot 6 deer with my 25WSSM with 115gr Combined Technology BTs this fall/winter, and they all went at least 50 yards before expiring. My 243 was shooting 95gr Combined Technology BTs, all loads are home rolled by me. I don't know what the deal is, but I have yet to see a quarter bore drop a deer dead in its tracks.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like rammer has been watching too many movies. Seriously,the bullet don't do it,the musclar reflexes do that.

ORIGINAL: Rammer

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I've seen probably a handful of deer shot with a 25-06, and I have yet to see it anchor a deer in its tracks.

This year is the first time I've ever personally used a quarter bore. My 25wssm didn't drop a deer dead in its tracks either.

My 243 always drops 'em dead in there tracks, and my 7mm Rem Mag (rifle of choice), really knocks 'em dead.

OK gotta ask, what's the difference in "dead in their tracks" and "really knocks 'em dead?"[8D][8D]

Back to the original question....Shot a doe this past season at 125 yards and she ran about 30 yards. No problem tracking as the 117 grainSierra Game King opened up some pretty nice holes.
Really knocks 'em dead, is when they get picked up off their feet a few inches, and shoved back about 10 yards.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok so pretty much everyone says it is a winner and I agree. I have been looking up bullets 120 grain to be specific and one bullet really stood out , it is probably not very popular but it has great SD and BC and its performance is unquestioned. Swift A frame 120 grainer...I think I will play with a run of the mill 120 grain bullet(Hornady) and practice practice practice this offseason and work up a hunting load for theaframe. No use fiirng expensive bullets into a sandbank.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like rammer has been watching too many movies. Seriously,the bullet don't do it,the musclar reflexes do that.

Oh don't be hard on Rammer he is probably still getting over the Perazzi engraving post

Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a loyal 25-06 fan. Plenty much for deer. As always, shot placement is critical. BTW, I've got a 52M Cooper on order in that very caliber. No way I'm dropping that kind of change on an ineffective killer.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

25-06 is a great deer caliber! I don't have one currently, but used them on many occasions in the past without any incident.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Oh don't be hard on Rammer he is probably still getting over the Perazzi engraving post
How'd you know I was still getting over that....

Thats what I like about this forum, good group of guys to BS.

Speaking of BS, I think you may get a kick out of this thread oldelk....

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=52788838&page=0& amp;fpart=1&vc=1&nt=2
Old 03-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Speaking of BS, I think you may get a kick out of this thread oldelk....
Lot's of Koolaid drinkers there as well I see and to think I almost bought one a few months ago. Did you like all the Sako inferences? Sako owns the company and supplies them with the barrels. That is about it.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the .243 for 30 yrs and its 10 times better than the 25-06
Just kidding. I dont think a deer will know the difference between a .243-25-06 and a .270, and about 10 other calibers in that class. They are very close in performance.30 yrs of killing deer with all sorts of calibers has led me to believe this.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Ok so pretty much everyone says it is a winner and I agree. I have been looking up bullets 120 grain to be specific and one bullet really stood out , it is probably not very popular but it has great SD and BC and its performance is unquestioned. Swift A frame 120 grainer...I think I will play with a run of the mill 120 grain bullet(Hornady) and practice practice practice this offseason and work up a hunting load for theaframe. No use fiirng expensive bullets into a sandbank.
I might select that 120-grain A-Frame if I were planning on shooting elk or moose with the .25/'06. I don't think even the biggest mulie on the Jicarilla Apache reservation would need that much of a premium bullet. The 115 gr. Nosler Partition would do it!

Quick Reply: 25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.