Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best Overall Rifle >

Best Overall Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Overall Rifle

Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Overall Rifle

ORIGINAL: CommonSense

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001
If it works, who gives a rat's a$$? if you wanna blow a grand on a deer rifle, have at it. Does it make you a better shooter? NO do you think I care how much nicer your rifles are? NO. I have been shooting Savage rifles for 15 years, never encountered any of the problems you mentioned, and I do a lot of shooting. Sounds to me like you are making a generalization about the Savage brand in general. Someone using a Savage must've outshot your Remington at the range, sounds like sour grapes to me.

If you even bothered to look at the picture you would see that the rifle pictured was a SAVAGE. But then why would you confuse the issue with the facts??? I was stating an opinion from years of experience with the Savage firearms!!! If as you stated you have never owned anything else, then how would you know??? I dl not mind being flamed when a person has facts. And if you bothered to even read the post you would see where I gave Savage it's credit due when speaking of accuracy. So BLOW IT OUT YOUR EAR!!! Tom.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

700 Remington SPS 270.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Fork Horn

If it works, who gives a rat's a$$? if you wanna blow a grand on a deer rifle, have at it. Does it make you a better shooter? NO do you think I care how much nicer your rifles are? NO. I have been shooting Savage rifles for 15 years, never encountered any of the problems you mentioned, and I do a lot of shooting. Sounds to me like you are making a generalization about the Savage brand in general. Someone using a Savage must've outshot your Remington at the range, sounds like sour grapes to me.

If you even bothered to look at the picture you would see that the rifle pictured was a SAVAGE. But then why would you confuse the issue with the facts??? I was stating an opinion from years of experience with the Savage firearms!!! If as you stated you have never owned anything else, then how would you know??? I dl not mind being flamed when a person has facts. And if you bothered to even read the post you would see where I gave Savage it's credit due when speaking of accuracy. So BLOW IT OUT YOUR EAR!!! Tom.
You spoke of how low you think the quality of Savage rifles are, did you not? And for the record, I shoot a variety of different rifles, and have not found the Savage brand to be as "low grade" as you claim it to be. I was also curious enough to actually call up a gunsmith, and ask him what brand he has had the most problems with, he simply told me that he has had to repair firearms from every brand you can think of, and that NO brand was more prevalent than the others. So if your statements about Savage are true, than he should've spoke of the problems that Savage presents. You praised their accuracy, I'll give you that, but you immediately followed that up by degrading the overall quality of the Savage brand. Aside from the "flimsy" stock, they are just as functional as a Remington, or a Winchester. But hold on, you also said that Savage represents the lowest quality in the firearm industry, are you saying that the Savage 110 is inferior to the Remington 710 and 770? My goodness, you are a walking contradiction
Old 01-29-2008, 06:01 PM

I personaly like my Kimber. Looks good, shots good, and never lets me down.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Dean, just go with your first choice..Savage is a fine rifle no better or worse than a Rem. just cost less. Most of these replies are what each one owns and of course they all have the best,,Human Nature..LOL
Good Luck
Old 01-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

You spoke of how low you think the quality of Savage rifles are, did you not? And for the record, I shoot a variety of different rifles, and have not found the Savage brand to be as "low grade" as you claim it to be. I was also curious enough to actually call up a gunsmith, and ask him what brand he has had the most problems with, he simply told me that he has had to repair firearms from every brand you can think of, and that NO brand was more prevalent than the others. So if your statements about Savage are true, than he should've spoke of the problems that Savage presents. You praised their accuracy, I'll give you that, but you immediately followed that up by degrading the overall quality of the Savage brand. Aside from the "flimsy" stock, they are just as functional as a Remington, or a Winchester. But hold on, you also said that Savage represents the lowest quality in the firearm industry, are you saying that the Savage 110 is inferior to the Remington 710 and 770? My goodness, you are a walking contradiction
Good One.. 100% agreement with you, all it takes is Common Sense..
Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 PM

I was looking at this Browning A-Bolt too. I've heard nothing but good about these guns. Does anyone have any experience with them? I know looks don't mean everything, but this has got to be one of the best looking rifles I've ever seen. It'sgot a heafty priceof$1200, but they're always listed way high at the websites.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=001B&cat_id=035&type_id=0 21

Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dean790

Guys, by no means was it my intention to start an argument with this thread. Like I said, I am somewhat new to the high power rifles. To be honest, I've never (except for shotguns)owned acenterfire rifle. I've fired many, but never owned one. It is my intention to buyan exceptionalcenterfireriflein the very near future. I want one that isextremely reliable,will last a LONG time, looks good, and for sure is SUPER accurate. If Ineed to take it to the gunsmith and get someminormodifications, that fine. This isa gun that I will keep forever and eventually pass on. It is my intention to mount this rifle with a very good high power scope. And...yes, the majority of my shooting will be at targets. I'll need to break it in, get comfortable with shooting it, and become as accurate as possible beforehunting. I've been looking real close at this gun http://www.savagearms.com/114Classic.htm

Thisis a classic Model 114 Savage in walnut stock, and Savage is known for its accuracy. From all the info I have gathered, I'm going to get either a 270 or 30-06. These two calibers seem to be thebest for anoverall gun. Being somewhat shy of recoil, I'm leaning toward the 270. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 270 kicks a little less than the 30-06 Although, an 06 with light loads will probably kick less than any 270 load. This concern is one of the many reasons I joined the huntingnet.com message board. I'm here to learn some things abouthigh power rifles before makingmy purchace.I'm not too concerned about my initial investment. I just want the best I can buy before adding customization,scope...andall of the othercosts that come with shooting my rifle. If you guys have any input please let me know. I'm open to personal e-mails too. My address is [email protected]

I don't know what you mean by "customization", but if its anything serious (re-stock, re-barrel, accurize...etc...) then I would recommend the REMINGTON over the Savage ANYDAY. If you are going to keep everything factory, then go with whatever fits you best.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:18 PM

Ah-oh, you got feature creep. If you are serious about getting a gun that you will keep for many years, get the one that you want, this may not be the one that you can afford right now, so save a couple of months. If you don’t, you will always be looking. Hunting season is mostly over for this year and you have a couple of months before you have to start hitting the bench anyways. You should be able to get the browning for under $700 (check out gunbroker.com). I would first pick your caliber, then look at the rifles. You mentioned that you wanted wood, so get a wood stock. Another gun to look at is the Remington Mountain LSS. I would never buy a rem (ford vs. chevy thing), but I like this rifle. Tikka laminated is sure pretty too!

Lastly don’t skimp on the glass. I would look at the Leupold VXIII as a minimum. Nikon is a another but I have not experience. Zeiss to me is the way to go.

Best of luck
Old 01-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

ORIGINAL: dean790

Guys, by no means was it my intention to start an argument with this thread. Like I said, I am somewhat new to the high power rifles. To be honest, I've never (except for shotguns)owned acenterfire rifle. I've fired many, but never owned one. It is my intention to buyan exceptionalcenterfireriflein the very near future. I want one that isextremely reliable,will last a LONG time, looks good, and for sure is SUPER accurate. If Ineed to take it to the gunsmith and get someminormodifications, that fine. This isa gun that I will keep forever and eventually pass on. It is my intention to mount this rifle with a very good high power scope. And...yes, the majority of my shooting will be at targets. I'll need to break it in, get comfortable with shooting it, and become as accurate as possible beforehunting. I've been looking real close at this gun http://www.savagearms.com/114Classic.htm

Thisis a classic Model 114 Savage in walnut stock, and Savage is known for its accuracy. From all the info I have gathered, I'm going to get either a 270 or 30-06. These two calibers seem to be thebest for anoverall gun. Being somewhat shy of recoil, I'm leaning toward the 270. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 270 kicks a little less than the 30-06 Although, an 06 with light loads will probably kick less than any 270 load. This concern is one of the many reasons I joined the huntingnet.com message board. I'm here to learn some things abouthigh power rifles before makingmy purchace.I'm not too concerned about my initial investment. I just want the best I can buy before adding customization,scope...andall of the othercosts that come with shooting my rifle. If you guys have any input please let me know. I'm open to personal e-mails too. My address is [email protected]

I don't know what you mean by "customization", but if its anything serious (re-stock, re-barrel, accurize...etc...) then I would recommend the REMINGTON over the Savage ANYDAY. If you are going to keep everything factory, then go with whatever fits you best.
Seems like the Remington has tons more aftermarket stuff, too!

Quick Reply: Best Overall Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.