Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger ?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger ?

ruger rifles are like ford 302 engines they are hit or miss you get a good one or you dont. I dont mess with rugers much anymore other than 10/22's the last 3 M77's I had were junk couldnt get them to shoot for nothing.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have heard many complaints about Ruger rifle accuracy. But I have been using various Ruger rifles, mostly #1's, since 1972 and have yet to encounter one that won't shoot. However, all the ones I've used were used with handloaded ammo, not factory loads. I don't know how much of a difference that makes, since at least in the beginning, all of them were fired with ammo originally loaded for other rifles. However, tailored loads were developed as well, and with these most of my Rugers shot MOA or better. The best one was a 1B in 7mm Rem Mag., which started out shooting 1" groups AT 200 YARDS.

Without knowing what, if anything, has been done to your rifles to make them shoot, I can't give much in the way of suggestions, other than to recommend trying to develop some handloads for those rifles that will give better performance.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I have heard many complaints about Ruger rifle accuracy. But I have been using various Ruger rifles, mostly #1's, since 1972 and have yet to encounter one that won't shoot. However, all the ones I've used were used with handloaded ammo, not factory loads. I don't know how much of a difference that makes, since at least in the beginning, all of them were fired with ammo originally loaded for other f=rifles. However, tailored loads were developed as well, and with these most Rugers shot MOA or better. The best one was a 1B in 7mm Rem Mag., which started out shooting 1" groups AT 200 YARDS.

Without knowing what, if anything has been done to your rifles to make them shoot, I can't give much in the way of suggestions, other than to recommend trying to develop some handloads for those rifles that will give better performance.
As stated above I too have owned and still have a couple of dozen in my personal collection at this time. I would stack any of them up against and other manufacturer out there for reability and accuracy. The triggers can be fixed with very little problem if you know what to do and every one of them will have a sweet spot for a certain ammo as well. This certainly don't make them junk( as stated in anothers post) It just makes them a little more tempermental in what they like. Take some time and check all of the items mention before, like scope, bases, rings, and have a good rest. I would suggest going to a heavy bullet. The 120 doesn't match the rifle twist in the Ruger 7mm-08 (try 139 or 140grain) Federal or Hornady. This will help you out greatly.

Mike
Old 10-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Ruger M77MkII Varmint/Target 22-250 that will shoot an honest 3/4 MOA all day long with the cheap Winchester White Box 45gr JHP. With handloads and 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tips 1/2 MOA was common. I wanted to cry when I had to sell that rifle.[:@]

My question would be, do you shoot the .22-250 and .243 consistantly better than the 7mm-08? If so, maybe you have a flinch. 7mm-08 isn't a brusier, but it does kick a substancial bit more than the .243 Win you're used to. I'd recommend you do a "dummy drill". Have a friend load an unknown (to you) number of rounds in the magazine (or use a snap cap randomly inserted with live rounds if you have one), and better yet have him/her cycle the bolt too, so you don't know if there is a live round in the chamber. Then sit down and shoot a group as you usually would. Have your buddy watch you as you shoot. When you drop the hammer on the dummy or empty chamber, any flinch will be obvious to both of you. Do it several times. If you flinch once, you have a flinch. If not, then you're a better-than-average rifleman.

I used this technique to get rid of my flinch when shooting my .454 Casull revolver. Using this drill, focus on squeezing the trigger as smoothly as you can. The shot should "surprise" you. A technique I learned in the Corps was to actually say squeeze (sotto voce) as you squeeze the trigger, but stretch it out until the shot breaks. It should sound something like "Squeeeeeeeeeeee*BOOM*ze". This focused concentration over a few boxes of ammo will eventually break the flinch. Do it at least until you can shoot an entire box of ammo (2 boxes is better) with a dummy round every 1-3 rounds with mo flinch at all. This will "cure" the flinch...at least until you decide to step up to a much more powerful round.

Don't feel bad if you do have a flinch. I've spent a lot of time (usually waiting for a barrel to cool) at the range observing guys shoot their rifles, and it's rare I can't see a flinch when their groups are crappy. Actually, it's rare I don't see a flinch at all with magnum rifles.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 10-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Well. I think it has to do more with a lack of shooting.. For years. I have not had to shoot regularly.. Just a couple of rounds at the beginning of the year to make sure the gun was still on.. For 20 years I never had to adjust the site on my 243. Which was my only rifle.. This year I have acquired 4 new rifles and have been doing a lot more shooting.. None of them shooting great groupings, but I am more concerned about the 7-08 because it will be my primary rifle..
Old 10-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

My vote is the lawyer trigger.