Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Little Red River and Greer's Ferry Fishin >

Little Red River and Greer's Ferry Fishin

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Little Red River and Greer's Ferry Fishin

Old 07-15-2004, 12:56 PM

Default Little Red River and Greer's Ferry Fishin

I am heading to Arkansas tonite and doing some trout fishing on the Little Red River and some dock fishing at Greer's Ferry. What should I stock up on and how should I fish each of these areas. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:45 PM

Default RE: Little Red River and Greer's Ferry Fishin

Man did you ever bring back some memories when you mentioned the little Red River, and Greers Ferry Lake. I was stationed at Little Rock Air Force Base in the early 70's, and use to fish there all the time. We use to catch a bunch of trout floating the river, or just cast and letting the salmon eggs drift down river. We strickly used bright red salmon eggs. I was never into fly fishing. I use to rig up with a split shot or two about 12 to 15in from a single hook and use one salmon egg. Also, I don't know if you can get to Millers point anymore. But at night we use to catch a bunch of fish there. From walleyes to silver bass, to huge cats. Another thing to try is to get a boat and fish the dam at night. Cross over the safety rope, and fish near the dam. Fish down around 35 feet, and use night crawlers. You'll catch some huge trout. I caught a few that were close to 10 to 12 lbs. Bring night crawlers with you because we couldn't buy them there. All they had were small leaf worms. Hey good luck, and have a great time!
Old 07-17-2004, 03:23 PM

Default RE: Little Red River and Greer's Ferry Fishin

Speaking of Greers Ferry man!!!!! When I was a little kid 5-6 my Dad used to fish BASS tournaments down there. Now that brings back some memories. The funniest was we had a big old tent with a screened in porch, we woke up one night to the sound of something eating our stuff inside the porch. It was a skunk, I opened the zipper maybe two inches to see & I asked my Dad "Aren't you gonna do somehting about that?" Dad said "Yep, gonna let him have that bag of Cheetoes!" It still cracks me up till this day.
Thanks for the jog down memory lane guys!!!!