Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 need help,  been river fishin.. >

need help, been river fishin..

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

need help, been river fishin..

Old 05-19-2008, 08:20 PM

Default need help, been river fishin..

hey guys!!
I been fishin at the river (can't remember which) near schell osage wild life reserve. it goes through the woods, which makes it quiet, and has been a good place to catch catfish. blues & flat heads have been biteing all most all day but they are small. 1 LB. maybe.[&:]
Well the thing I need help with is the bugs. I tried a brand new deep woods OFF Insect repellent and they swarmed arround me like I was a stick of candy!! I noticed some other people made a small fire first thing and didn't seem as bothered by the skeeters.[>:] Does this work???
What do you all use to keep those pesky biters from makeing a snack out of us??[:-]
Old 05-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: need help, been river fishin..

Deep woods off works great up here, however I do not think there is anything that will keep them from driving you crazy. No matter what I use they still
will drive you crazy even if they do not bite you. You may want to try a head net that you can wear over your head to try and keep them at a distance.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:31 PM

you need to get a term-a-cell (sp) they work great,, best thing I have ever seen,,,I use it bow hunting and it keeps the bitting bugs away,,they won't even fly around your head,
Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 PM

thanks guys,
I will look into that. them dang things flew right into my face and eyes and the OFF didn't even seem to faze any thing. I bought it in the fishing section of the store so I thought it would be good for fishing (didn't look to see if it was deep woods or no) guess not.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 PM

Look around for older cans of off that have high levels of DEET. If you find some guard it with your life because that stuff is gold.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

go to walmart and buy the eucalyptus or however its spelt and it is the best bug spray in the world i think i can even use it when hunting
Old 05-25-2008, 02:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I use the Therma Cell as well..They are expemsive but they do work..

I understand that Deet can cause health problems..
Note..
" However, there is a growing body of evidence warning that DEET, the most often recommended and used repellent ingredient, can cause serious health problems. Furthermore, applying DEET while using sunblock, increases DEET absorption into the blood by a factor of three.
A recent study from Duke University Medical Center pharmacologist, Dr. Abou-Donia Ph.D, reported that the chemical DEET causes diffuse brain cell death and behavioral changes in rats after frequent and prolonged use. While the chemical's risks to humans are still being intensely debated, Abou-Donia says his 30 years of research on pesticides' brain effects clearly indicate the need for caution among the general public. "

There are other mosquito repellant out there.. Florida swamps are horrible with mossquitoes and I use the Therma cell...
The unit cost about 23.00
You simply screw in a butane cartridge ..
and slide a blue mat over the tiny burner..
A mat last about 3 hours and a butane about 8 ..

A package of 3 butanes and 12 mats ..about 20.00[]

BUT ..for me it's worth it..For fishing I would look into those burning pots instead..that burn like a candle.The smoke from the Therma Cell is practiacallty odorless .I have asthma and it does not bother me.
Hope that helps..

c7