Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

high point firearms

Old 01-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default high point firearms

I was wondering if anyone here shot a high point handgun and whether you like the gun or not. I've been looking for a lower priced semi auto pistol to purchase once I turn 21. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: high point firearms

If it's all you can afford, then it's all you can afford. However, you definitely get what you pay for. A friend purchased one of these in 9mm years ago for "home defense". Compared to my (yes, more expensive) beretta and my well-used S&W, the Hi-Point felt more like a club than a handgun. Nor did it shoot as well. "Point" was about all I could muster with it. Reliability was pretty low, too. It may havejust had a bad magazine, but I just wasn't impressed by it.

Definitely not a handgun I'd PREFER defending my family with, unless it were the only thing available (beats a stick, I suppose). I think you could pick up a used auto(Beretta, Smith, Glock, Springfield, maybe even a SIG)somewhere and likely still have a more reliable gun.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

PLEASE do yourself a favor and save until you can afford a quality made handgun! Most of them seem to work ok for what they are. Just be aware they are made of cast zinc (slide), and plastic frame. That places all the weight on the top end-exaggerating recoil. Pick up an good used handgun instead, and for not much more money.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

PLEASE do yourself a favor and save until you can afford a quality made handgun! Most of them seem to work ok for what they are. Just be aware they are made of cast zinc (slide), and plastic frame. That places all the weight on the top end-exaggerating recoil. Pick up an good used handgun instead, and for not much more money.
+1
Old 01-04-2009, 02:28 AM
Typical Buck

Go toyour localrange and talk to the RO. See if they are willing for you to try different calibers from different manufacturers. I strongly suggest that you start out with a 22LR. I have witnessed numerous public shooters at my club who developed bad shooting habits because they did not start with a 22LR. You will save the cost of a 22LR in the ammo and have amuch better chance of developingproper shooting form if you shoot a low recoil gun while learning the basics and fundamentals. Alsocheck the NRA website to see ifthe NRA Basic Pistol course is available in your area.

When you do buy a center fire handgun, buy one that is well built. If it is a 9mm make sure it is approved for at least +P ( +P+ is even better ). I would also suggest staying away from a handgun with an internal safetylocking device. At our club we have had two S&W M&P in .40 and one Taurus 24/7 in .40 where the internal safety locking device failed. This resulted with a live round in the chamber and no way ofremoving the live round without breaking the firearm.

For a lower priced gun, I would suggest a Springfield XD or a Ruger. If this gun is going to be used for SD, I personally would not choose one that had a magazine disconnect (check with your local gun laws). It should also be at least a 9mm (approved for +P or better yet +P+ ammo). A 40 or 45ACP would be better. I would stay away from the 45 GAP, as the ammo is harder to find and also higher in price. If you decide to go with a revolver, go with a 357 Mag with at least a 3 inch barrel (4 inch barrel is great for SD).
Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kendradad

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

+1
+2

My brother-in-law (he's a LEO) and I went to a gun show a few months ago. I saw the High Point 9mm's there and went to check one of them out. I immediately looked at my brother-in-law like, "You have got to be kidding me!" This thing had to be the biggest, cheeziest, P.O.S. handgun I have ever seen! My brother-in-law said that the gang bangers buy the High Point handguns because, well, they're cheap. If/when they jam, malfunction, break, etc... the gang banger just buys another one - or steals another one.

PLEASE don't buy one of these poorly made P.O.S. handguns... Save up your money to buy something more reliable, or perhaps look at something used that is also reliable and still in good condition too.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

Lefty if money is tight you may be better off looking into a used pistol. In two years you will have a used HiPoint or whatever you buy any way. I picked up a used Berretta 92 FS Centurian a few years ago for $350 and it a great gun. In fact I have never had a single missfeed or problem with it.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

i have shot around with a buddy's 22 pistol some and am pretty accurate with it. and feel pretty confident in shooting a 9mm as well. I have shot both guns and feel confident in shooting both guns. I was just wondering if anyone here personally owns a hi point and if they like it or not. But from what i have heard so far they are not very good guns. I would like to buy a pistol for SD that if possible i could use to attain a concealed carry permit Personally I would prefer something in 40 or 45 but rather 45 because ammo would be more easily found in that caliber and also ammo usually runs slightly cheaper. I would not be against a double action revolver either as long as it would be small enough for concealed carry and not have much greater recoil than a semi auto handgun
Old 01-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

If this was NOT going to be used for SD or shot a lot, it could be okay. IMO, High Point handguns are poorly balanced. This will make shooting harder and less enjoyable. A quality firearm will last a lifetime for most peoplewhen properly maintained and can be very enjoyable to shoot.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want something reasonable in price, but true jack of all trades good for darn near anything you'll need-look for a good used .357 revolver w/4"-6" barrel. Rugers are stronger and cheaper than S&W, but S&Ws are smoother out of box. Taurus is MUCH improved over what they used to be and deserve a look too. You should be able to look around and find an used Ruger Security Six or used GP100 for 200-300$.

Quick Reply: high point firearms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.