Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Franchi I-12

Old 05-23-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Franchi I-12

This may have been brought up before, But I would really like to hear a review on the Franchi I-12 from anyone who has it/shot it.

I am so close to buying one. I have found near no bad reviews, and only very good things. It seems like it is the best one out there aside from the sBEII.

And the price is spectacular.

Please provide some reviews, especially the negative.

thanks
Old 05-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Franchi I-12

Pretty recent gun so I doubt you will find a lot of people that have shot or owned one.

I have the 712 which is a beautfully built gas gun in fact this has the easiest most simple gas system I have seen on a gas gun yet. The dealer had an I-12 on the rack..Believe it or not the only reason I didn't go for it was the plastic "F" on the side of the reciever. Triggerguard and inertia system are same as Benelli SBE..for hundreds less. If your looking for a Benelli inertia gun then a Super M1 90 is a great buy as well as long as you don't want 3 1/2 " shells. You should be able to buy one used for less then 700 and a new one won't cost much more then that. Either is a good buy. Good luck
Old 06-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Well, pdoughertyMU, I've had my I-12 since August 2005. It's a great shotgun and I especially like the balanced/neutral feel of the I-12. Although the recommended minimum load is 1 1/8oz, I have put several hundred 1 oz game loads through it without any problems. I've even shot 50 or so 1 oz Gamebore target loads and the I-12 didn't miss a beat. I believe the recoil pad with the gel insert is fantastic and I can easily shoot a round of sporting clays (100 shells) without any ill effects on my shoulder later in the day or the next.

The inertia system is clean-shooting and with the spring around the magazine instead of in the stock like the M2, it's easier to clean.

I did recently get my I-12 back from Benelli, however. I had to send it in because the screw that holds the extractor in place worked itself out the last time I was shooting. There was also a minor issue with one type of ammo (Federal 1 1/8oz ammo in the Wal-mart 100 round packs) that involved the second shell getting stuck on the carrier about 4/5ths of the way out of the magazine. The gunsmith deburred something or other on my I-12 (I couldn't read his writing on the repair form) that was related to the carrier. Took the same ammo out that used to give my I-12s problems and it didn't get hung up one time in the 70 or so rounds I shot.

If you want more info, jump over to shotgunworld.com and read the message boards over there. There's info on the Franchi board about the I-12 or you can do a search for info posted on one of the other boards. I've posted my experiences with the I-12 over there. My user name over there is crushert.

Oh, one other thing. The original I-12s like mine were drilled and tapped for scope mounts. From what I've read recently, that's no longer the case.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

I shot it last weekend and liked it alot. Very smooth action, very little recoil (I thought less than the SBE II which I also shot last weekend).

The only potential negative thing I would say about this gun is it only comes in 3". I say potential negative thing because this is more a personal issue than anything else. I have a M1 Super 90 right now for up to 3" shells which I love. However, if I didn't have that gun, I would buy the I-12.

I don't think you will go wrong with this gun as long as you don't get upset after the purchase that you wished you could fire 3 1/2" cartridges.

Good luck,