Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
West Virginia Crossbows >

West Virginia Crossbows

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

West Virginia Crossbows

Old 06-06-2002, 09:01 PM

Default West Virginia Crossbows

I just bought hunting property in West Virginia. My Dad is disabled (neck and back) and legally uses a crossbow in Maryland.

Turns out crossbows are illegal in WV, even for disabled hunters.

I personally feel that this is a violation of his rights -- maybe a violation of the American with Disabilites Act. He is unable to enjoy bow season because of his disabilty. He is forced to sit at home while able bodied people are out hunitng with bows.

The "traditional" bowhunting groups in WV have always fought crossbows -- for their own selfish reasons.

We're pretty sure that, illegal or not, my Dad is going to use the crossbow this year in WV. We figured if he gets caught then we would fight back, but is there a better way?

I'm thinking about challenging this somehow and I was wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences -- has anyone here tried to fight their State over a disabled hunters issue? Whom should I call to get more info? Who fights for the disabled? Is it the ACLU or another group?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
[email protected]

Old 06-07-2002, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: West Virginia Crossbows

Good luck in your fight. I too am disabled and use a crossbow to hunt. But in Ontario anyone is able to use a crossbow. Sorry but I do not know how to dirrect you in your fight, but i can lend you moral support. UNDER NO SITUATION SHOULD A DISABLED PERSON HAVE TO FIGHT FOR THE OPERTUNITY TO HUNT. If they want to restrict the abled body hunters, fine but let the disabled injoy the outdoors.

Tom
Old 06-07-2002, 09:50 AM

md, I too iam disabled with neck injurys and belive that anyone that has a disabled hunting lic. should be allow to use a X-bow, I havent bow hunted in a long time now due to my neck. I think the best way is to contact your states DNR and these bow hunting assoc. If you need support I will do whatever is needed of me to help you and any one that whant to get the laws changed on this issue. Jay
Old 06-07-2002, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

md I am forming the VDOA(Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Association), which hopefully will be off the ground in a few months and I will try once I get it rolling see what the VDOA can do for WV. I know in Va. that the VDGIF(Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries) holds open hearing with state law makers that allow input from the disabledand other individuals also. Crossbows are legal for the disabled in Va. so maybe we could get a few disabled crossbow hunters up your way to testify.

The Tazman
Old 06-07-2002, 02:00 PM

md_hunter ~ Once you find out who you contact, let us know. We'll rally the troops!