Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
 Never considered myself disabled... >

Never considered myself disabled...

Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Never considered myself disabled...

Old 04-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Never considered myself disabled...

Just thought I'd share my experience...

I decided this year to take the plunge. Buy a bow, learn archery, and start bow hunting. I posted some questions, and the overwhelming response was to try several different bows, at friends' houses and proshops, in order to discover what draw weight and length suited me. I would also get to see, hold, shoot bows from various manufacturers. Well, I got to handle bows belonging to two friends, and I discovered that I can't pull a bow back. I get most of the way there, and terrible pain kicks in, and I almost loose all my strength.

Well it sounds to corny to be true, but it all goes back to an old high school football injury. In tenth grade, I separated my shoulder. The doctor told me that I had tendinitus, and it will be with me for ever. Well, since high school, I had felt the effects of the injury less than ten times. (I'm 32 now.) So, it wasn't really on my mind when I began planning on bow hunting. But there is something about the motion in pulling back on the bow that makes it flare up.

So my hopes were crushed. However, in Ohio, crossbow hunting is legal for anyone. I ended up buying a used crossbow on ebay. Now I can hunt during bow season! I still need to learn how to use the crossbow, and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Jim
Old 04-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Never considered myself disabled...

One word,"PRACTICE"...