Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Using no string silencers >

Using no string silencers

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Using no string silencers

Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Using no string silencers

I watched a hunting show last week and Troubridge of Excalibur crossbows reccomended that no string silencers be used on Excalibur bows as you would only sacrifice speed.
I shoot and old Excal Exocet at 165 lb. I have string silencers pluis I have a Sims recurve limb dampener on each limb to help make it a little more quiet.
Should I do away with both to pick up the extra speed as the bow is still loud?
How many FPS could I possibly gain by doing away with each?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Using both likely costs you 15 fps. You decide if the noise abatement is worth it.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cossack
Using both likely costs you 15 fps. You decide if the noise abatement is worth it.
I know it's not to me. I keep my shots close anyways. If a deer is going to jump the string on you, I believe the deer will hear the CB regardless. I'd rather have the extra speed. just my 2 cents. wasnt trying to barge in here.... the thread caught my attention because I was at one time considering trying to quiet mine down. After considering everything I don't see it gaining much of anything. Especially if you keep your shots 30yrds & less. The deers gonna hear it anyways. Especially with the recurves... as they are going to be loud.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe that damping the vibration makes the bow hold up better about 25 to 30 years a go I bought a Hunter [what they call 10 p0int since they changed the name and put string dampers on it that cross bow still shoots good the mechanism is getting a little worn but still works good: I shoot a lot and hunt deer bear and bore, I won't even attempt to estimate how many shots have been put through it. I am just in the last couple of year playing with the idea of retiring it. I can not really prove that it makes a difference but that is my opinion.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Boo strings w/ served on cat whiskers. They cost me 3-5 fps. You can put the stick on limbsavers in a variety of positions, each of which changes the fps cost.

Mr.T claims 15-20 fps per set. I had a used Excal that came w/ them on, one promptly flew off, I '86'd' the other.

I 'quieted' an Emax down some w/ heavier arrows, still lost some fps, which I could well afford, but gained K.E. IMHO, the heavier Excals set up for max fps are nasty buggers, lol. YMMV.